• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PhenomX4 9750 OC and his problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cloudheaven

Registered
Hi all! I'm pretty new to the OC, but now I would like to know how to do this safely!
If I try to apply a slight OC at the CPU (only 100mhz from stock) it crashes when is at full load,
but only with a certain software (Battlefield 3), all the other applications like rendering, games, programs runs well without freeze.
The entire temp system is cool, CPU temp at full is under 55°C, Intel Burn Test is ok at maximum stress level.

This is the BSOD that windows gave me.

My spec:

CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 X4 cooled by Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO
RAM: 4GB Kingston 800mhz (2-2)
MoBo: Asus M4N78SE bios 1401 (latest BIOS)
VGA: GTX560 @stock
PSU: LC Power 650w

I'd like to know if anyone can gently tell me what kind of problem I have and
how I could solve it to manage a little OC without freeze, BSOD or problem.

My goal is to reach 2.6ghz from a stock of 2.4ghz.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome! First of all, please download and install these three standard overclocking tools which we use for reporting, testing and monitoring: HWMonitor, CPU-a and Prime95. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while you run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes (if it will run that long). Then please report back to us what your maximum core temps were. One of the things we need to do here is get on the same page with our terminology. You reported a maximum "CPU" temp of 55c. What is more important is to know what the core temps are. HWmonitor will tell us that.

Is this a black edition CPU, that is does it have an unlocked multiplier or are you limited to overclocking with the front side bus (aka, CPU frequency)? If the latter there are some other frequencies that increase along with it because they are tuned to it: HT Link, NB and memory frequency. They can quickly get too high and become sources of instability. So they might need to be manually adjusted downwardly.

Thanks for the help trents.
I've downloaded Prime95, applied an overclock of only 100mhz from stock.
then in the OS I've opened HWMonitor and launched P95...
after 5/6 second in blend mode I've collected the BSOD posted first.
My CPU isn't a BE and if I raise it's clock I've notoced that the clock of
RAM raise itself from 800 to 840. So, the RAM are the problem?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I meant for you to return everything to stock settings before you run P95. Let's start with what ought to be stable and check temps first to see if they are the culprit. Yes, the ram could be the problem. You should start the ram at 666 in bios instead of 800 to give it some headroom.

Last edited:
That's my test result with everything at stock after 1 hour.
Everything has gone without problem.

If I have to downclock my RAM for reach
a decent OC, what settings I have to change in the BIOS?

Core temps are great if that HWMonitor pic was taken after the Prime95 test and represents full load and not idle temps. You certainly have room for overclocking from a temp standpoint. What I would ask now is two things:

1. With your CPU-z "CPU" tab pic, please include pics of tabs: "Memory" and "SPD" which will tell us about your current ram frequency and timings and what the manufacturer recommends for voltages and timings at various frequencies your ram is capable of, respectively.
2. Create a "Sig" that will display information about your system with every post you make. To create a Sig find Quick Links at the top of the page and click on it and then click on Edit Signature. You can use mine as a pattern for the kind of info we look for. Once that is done we can advise you concerning adjustments for overclocking.

Thank you so much for helping me trents!
The previous pic with the temp was at full with P95.

This is a shot of "Memory" and "SPD" tabs of CPU-Z:

Both memory stick are exactly the same.

And thanks for the suggest! I will provide this immediately!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Sig. Yes as RJ said, you might want to consider a better PSU in the near future but if its working now it'll have to do until you can.

I've downloaded your manual and have captured and highlited the adjustments in your bios that are relevant for overclocking.

First, disable Cool N Quiet.

Second, change your Memory Clock to 333.

Third, lower your Hyper Transport Speed to 800

Fourth, increase your CPU Overvoltage to +50mv

Next, please post back with pics of CPU-z tabs "CPU" and "Memory" so I can check what you have done and check my advice against what actually shows.

Attachments

• Bios1.JPG
    Bios1.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 147
  • bios2.JPG
    bios2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 149
  • bios3.JPG
    bios3.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 148
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Maybe I have the possibility to install another PSU: Thermaltake 700w modular, it's better than an LC?

And another question, in the CPU Overclocking tabs, after setting to manual
I need only to overvolt the CPU or I need even to raise the frequency?

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Maybe I have the possibility to install another PSU: Thermaltake 700w modular, it's better than an LC?

And another question, in the CPU Overclocking tabs, after setting to manual
I need only to overvolt the CPU or I need even to raise the frequency?

The Thermaltake PSU would definitely be an improvement! For right now I just want you to overvolt the CPU and give the CPU-z CPU and Memory pics. We aren't actually overclocking yet, just preparing. We're almost there. Be patient.

One other advance adjustement before overclocking: Set the VDDNB Overvoltage to +33mv.

I'll be gone for 30-40 minutes to walk the dog.

Last edited:
Okay, good. Only one surprise and that is the HT Link frequency literally went down to 800 mhz when you set the HT Speed to 800. That might sound odd to you because I told you to set it it to 800 but in most bioses that adjustment is set up a differrent way and I expected it to come out as 1600 mhz in CPU-z "CPU" tab.

Anyway, set the HT Speed to 1000 mhz.

Now let's start to overclock. We will do this slowly and systematically.

Start by increasing your CPU Frequency to 210 mhz.

Run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop whenever you run the Prime 95 stress test. We don't want to see core temps exceed mid 50sc (55-57c) or TMPIN0 (which is the CPU socket temp) exceed 68c. If at any time that occurs, stop the Prime stress test.

If you pass the Prime95 stress test at 210, move up to 220 mhz for the CPU frequency. If you fail the test, post back with pictures of HWMonitor from the last test and of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". Failing the test means either blue screen, spontaneous restart, lockup or one of the four Prime core workers stops.

Repeat the above steps but if you pass the test at a CPU frequency of 220 mhz. start using 5 mhz increments instead of 10 mhz increments. Any questions?

Back