• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hi All, need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rezman5

Hi all, I have been lurking around the forum for about a week, and I need your help. I just bought myself a brand new AMD 1.4 Ghz T-bird, and before I bought it I checked the site ( http://www.msi.com.tw ) of my motherboard to see if the model I had could support it. It said it could...turns out it can't. I need to make an investment in a new motherboard. I can spend close to $100. I would like to be able to use the 640 MB PC-133 Ram I have, and I would like the motherboard to be easily overclockable and not have to do anothing to the chip itself for fear of messing something up. Does anyone have any ideas or tips for overclocking once I get the new motherboard. I am using the standard fan/HS that AMD gives you.

thanks for the help.

Mike

What is the model of the board that you have now?

For overclocking I would recommend getting some real cooling for you chip. :)

Here's an idea. Can someone please just tell me when they would get if all they needed as a motherboard and cooling for their 1.4 Ghz processor? Lets make it a contest or something...maybe even a prize...I have to think about it.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi I realize that you want to use the pc133 ram you have but if I were you I would bite the cost of new ram and get a ddr board.
You are going to want ddr ram sooner or later and if you are already going to buy a new mother board it wont coast you much more to buy the ddr ram.

Trust me in one years time you will be kicking yourself if you buy another sdram board.

Thanks for the help everyone. What is a good DDR board to get, and what about cooling.

P.S. thanks for helping a newbie out, I know alot about everything else in computers cept MoBo's. It's a learning experience.

Here are 2 other mobo that have been getting good reviews on the forums. msi k7t266 pro2 and soyo sy-k7v dragon plus both ddr boards cooling is a big question mark. Check them out at newegg

im not sure but are there a few motherbaords that take ddr or sdram? anyway ive heard alot of good things about the shuttle ak31 rev 3. its cheap and alot of people like it with good results.somone let me know if there are such motherboards that do except sdram or ddr please . i would hate to give bad info might just make somone a little :mad: :D see ya round the forums

I was checking about the soyo sy-k7v dragon and it looks like it comes with alot of good extras. It seems that everyone on the forums swear by the A7V266-E, so I might look into that. Can you overclock the A7V266-E in the bios?

thanks,
Mike

Any DDR board that has the kt266a chipset is going to be a winner. They are Asus A7V266-E, Msi k7t266 pro2, soyo sy-k7v dragon, shuttle ak31 rev 3 and the Epox 8kha+. There may be more these are the ones I can think of, any of which will be a good choice.

The Asus A7A board does suport both Sdram and DDR but it does not have the Kt266a chipset so I wouldn't recomend it.

Doublecheck that new board will take a particular heatsink

There's loads of sites rating heatsinks and fans, with myriad testing methods. The absolute best ones going seem to be the Alpha 8045, Kanie Hedgehog Dually, and Swiftech MC462. These are probably about the best air-cooling heatsinks out there, but they are big. I don't think the Soyo K7V Dragon+ will acommodate these. There are still loads of smaller heatsinks that will do a great job. One site that lists some is HardOCP.

It doesn't sound like you want to spend the mojo for one of the big heatsinks, but just do a bit of legwork to make sure that you select a mobo and heatsink combo that fit.

Back