• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PNY 7900GS can't overclock?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baballin328

Registered
Well I've switched back to XP to try to overclock my 7900GS. Well I've tried to use Coolbits, ATItool, and Rivatuner to overclock it. But even if I overclock a little, it won't be 100% stable. I've googled around and found out that this card isn't the best overclocker, but many people who own this card got it to like around 570 core and around 1400 mem. When I auto overclock with Coolbits, it doesn't change the speeds at all! What's going on? How can I overclock this card?!

I bought the same card and just installed it today. I have installed a Zalman cooler and the idle temps are only 32c, so that isn't it. Just like you though, I can get the core to 500, but that memory doesn't budge. I have tried 560 on the core and it was stable in aq3, but not 3d03. SO either this card sucks at ocing cause of pour part or pny did something in the bios to keep you from doing it. As far as drivers go I have tried the 93.71 (hate them) and the 91.42 (came with). The only thing that I didn't try was the 91.47's that Rage tried, they claimed to get the one they had to 576/732. Also, I tried both Rivatuner and Coolbits.

the pny 7900gs cards just dont seem to be doing so hot. The xfx, msi, and evga cards seem to do far better when it comes to overclocking for some reason or other.

I have a PNY 7900GS. I can get it to 560/1430... and that's right @ the edge of instability. Anyway, they really dont O/C, they dont use the reference layout maybe thats what affects their O/C, maybe they got the poorest chips from nvidia for a cheap price. I wish I got an eVGA or XFX, those seem to OC really well, this is my last PNY.

Well I CC has the Evga advertised online for 199, so if they have it in the store I may return this. It worries me when a card won't oc even alittle. It makes me wonder how long this thing will last; I believe a good ocing card shows quality build that will likely last awhile at stock speeds.

Not sure if you had any better luck, but after my 50 Mhz oc on the core that I tried for ~10 minutes and then reset the card back to stock and left it. It has crapped out on day 3 of use. So, back to BB it went and the evga 7900gs ko is on the way and no more PNY for me.

Yeah, I got a PNY 7900GS for Christmas... I've been trying to overclock it for days... and yeah, it sucks. I've decided just to leave it at stock. It's not even worth it to OC. Oh well, my luck sucks. I called Best Buy and they said that they wouldn't take a return (I expected as much).

Haha, at one point, I thought I had a stable OC at 525/700 (no artifacts on ATI tool), but after playing a game there was some snow and random quitting to desktop.

Without even OC'ing this card gets up to 71-74C. Is this too hot??

/rant

But then again, from a 6600GT, this is a HUGE upgrade. My games look awesome now; I just won't have the fun (or the extra 5fps) of OC'ing lol.

Last edited:
Back