• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP A7N8X rev V2 E1170 Cant Get Hard Drive up and running to install XP OS Help Plez

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

HELP A7N8X rev V2 E1170 Cant Get Hard Drive up and running to install XP OS Help Plez

I have an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe rev 1.04 mobo. I had a SATA Maxtor drive 160Gig in there..got corrupted, just disconnected it. Bought a Seagate SATA 300gig drive (jumpered for 1.5Gig transfer rate), Seagate model ST 3300622AS-RK, a Barracuda drive 7200.9

I am installing it as a brand new hard drive so I can then install Windows XP Pro on it (a 1 drive computer).

However I get an error stating boot drive failure, putting in the OS CD from Microsoft into my CD drive and hitting return didn't work.

SO, I went into the BIOS, here's what I found:

Under main, Primary Master: Lite On Drive LTR-5232 (this refers to my CDRW drive, the only drive I have installed in the computer, I don't have a floppy).

When I go into the submenu of the Primary Master. The BIOS cannot automatically detect the hard drive. So ASUS instructions say to Change the IDE Primary Master setting to Manual, and Access Mode to CHS, and enter in the number of cylinders, heads and sectors. I did that.

According to Seagate website the drive has 16383 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors. Now when I entered those values in the same BIOS screen the section for CAPACITY had 8455 MB (all in grey text it's something the BIOS determined). The section for PreComp and LandingZone (both in blue font) I left as 0, as I didn't see any values for that on Seagates website. For the Sector field the manual says the following "This field configures the number of sectors per track. Refer to the drive documentation to determine the correct value. To make changes to this field, set the Type field to [User Type HDD] and the Translation Method field to [Manual]" I can't find anything that in the BIOS that shows these fields, no any mention of it anywhwere else in the manual.

I would note that when I startup the computer I does register my harddrive with the following a zero w/a dot in the center, followed by the model number and this value 286,168 MB (so somehow it "sees" my hard drive.

Further into the BIOS, under ADVANCED>ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES I saw the the First Boot Device listed as SCSI, the second and third boot device were listed as DISABLED.

LASTLY, when I hit F4 to enter the RAID configuration utility, it sees my Hard drive...listedd as
*0 PM followed by the model number and the size of the drive 286168 MB. The asterisk means it's the first HDD as shown on the screen.

I changed the first boot device to HDD0 that didn't help, and made the second CDROM w/the first as HDDO as well, and that didn't help either. I also changed the first boot device to CDROM, hoping I would boot up from the Windows XP Pro CD..that didn't work either. When that's done, the screen only shows the drive's size in MB's and it's model number, like it normally would on startup w/any drive. However it stops after that...nothing else happens. CD drive doesn't spin up afterwards.

I am COMPLETELY STUCK.

ANY Suggestions???? :bang head :bang head :confused: :confused:

EDIT>>>>>>> Figured it out......Boot sequence order..I had CDROM for 1st..but kept using HDD0 instead of selecting SCSI...WOW...now I have a second question...will post in new thread.

Last edited:
Back