• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD CPU I bought.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackal

Registered
I'm new to this stuff so bear with me. I purchased an AMD 1.4 GHz CPU Friday. I was told by the salesman it was a 200 FSB. I tried to install it on my ASUS A7V. I couldn't get the full 1.4 GHz from it. I think it's the board no supporting it. But upon further research, I found this. The top code on the chip is this :

A1400AMS3C

Now correct me if i am wrong, but this CPU is 266 FSB ( the C at the end ). No wonder it won't work on my A7V. LOL! Anyway, could someone refer me to a motherboard for this CPU that is the best quality for the dollar. I'm not returning it to the store. Got a better CPU for less money, hehe. Thanks.

Yes C at the end means 266 frontside bus so the processor should run fine at that level.

try to upgrade your bios and try again.

Sorry I meant 133 frontside bus. What motherboard do you have?

I had a problem with a computer i built and looked up at the Amd site and B means 100 and C is 133

I got sold a B version and didnt understand why I couldnt use the 133 Fsb. And an Abit kt7a needs the Bios updated because even with a 133 fsb it will lock up sometimes. I tried a 1 ghz C version and it kept locking up and i updated the bios and it works fine now.

i have an abit kt7a with duron 800. i tried a 133 FSB and it was unstable, so i tried a 124 FSB and it was also unstable. both times i lowered the multiplier so CPU heat was not the factor. do you think this is the bios issue? does it affect all boards? i am thinking of ordering an athlon 1133, but i am nervous to update my bios in case something goes wrong..

Branney what multiplier are you getting in Bios and does the Duron support 133 mhz frontside bus.

And to update your bios go to the Abit site but first you have to know what revision your board is. The number will be on the left hand side by the pci slots a white sticky with the version number.
then download the bios. Put it on a floppy disk as is. Get a startup disk for your os then boot into dos. Then type in the bios file example *****.exe then it will automatically unzip. then type awdflash but first remember what the .bin File is thats the bios. It will ask you what program it is the bin file. i advise you save your old bios in case something goes wrong and dont turn off the comp until it flashes successfully. then reset and you should be good to go.

I updated the BIOS to revision 1009. My board is an ASUS A7V. The chip I am using now is a T-Bird 800 MHz code on chip has 'B' at the end. Also, here is a link to where I got my information. I just need to know if I must buy a new motherboard or not. If so, what would you recommend.

http://www.carpenterm50.freeserve.co.uk/socketa_id.jpg

dlin4 - no it shouldnt support it, but i read it had been done before. thanks for the info

jackal - your A7V supports an FSB anywhere between 90 and 145mhz. 133mhz is the setting you need, with multiplier set to 10.5 since 133x10.5=1400. the problem you probably encountered is that you could not get the chip much above 1200mhz, because your FSB was at 100mhz, and you could not get a high enough multiplier.

You're right, I couldn't get it above 1165. The problem i'm having now is that i changed the multiplier to 10.5 and the frequency to 133 with the DIP switches. The JEN jumper i left on 2-3 and tried to boot up. Nothing. I switched the JEN and still nothing. What am I doing wrong. I looked at the chip closely and it is unlocked ( bridges closed correct? ). I just don't know what to do. PLEASE HELP A NEWBIE! LOL!

the regular i guess. it's about 9 months old. it's not the a7v133 or anything like that. just says a7v on it.

For the regular a7v there is no support for 133 mhz frontside bus.

I went to the asus site and it only says 100 mhz.

The a7v266-e supports it and has a via kt266a chipset in it but i dont know what the prices are and your budget.

that's what i was afraid of.

i was lookin into the a7v133-c. it says it supports the chip i got. and only $95 on pricewatch ain't bad. thanks for all the help. once i get a board for this thing i'll be back on here wantin more help. again thanks.

no problem the a7v133c should be fine. I am very happy with asus I have an a7a266 and its completely stable.

the a7a266 is what i really want. just don't have the cash for it now. it supports pc133 and ddr correct? i don't feel like buyin new memory too. the wife is killin me already. LOL!

yes it supports both and the price i got for it online is 129 dollars I bought it because i could use sdram but now i have ddr.

works great.

First of all, Welocme to everybody in this thread.

First;
Jackal, that sure looks like a 266FSB CPU. I'll put a screen shot at the bottom of this post for you to use to decipher the codes on these CPUs.

Now the bad news, If that is an A7V, not an A7V133 motherboard, it will not support 133FSB. The A7V board was shipped with the original KT133 chipset. This chipset was used on most of the first generation socket A motherboards, and is known not to support a FSB much above the 107 / 110MHz range. On the A7V133, this chipset was replaced with the KT133A chipset which does support a FSB of 133+MHz, some have reported reaching 150+MHz with this revised chipset.

The multiplier jumpers on that motherboard only go to 12.5X. If you use the multipliers in the BIOS, the CPU would be recognized as a 133FSB and the board won't support it so I think that you'd have problems there as well. (I may be wrong on that, but I think that in the jumperfree mode, the BIOS looks to the CPU for the default settings to initiate the boot process, I hope somebody will correct me if I'm wrong).

My best advise would be to either exchange the CPU or upgrade your motherboard.

Now on to branney.

Most DURONS will run at a 133/266 FSB provided that the motherboard supports it and you lower the multiplier accordingly. The KT7A uses the KT133A chipset so that wouldn't be the problem. (I've got a couple of 600's that'll do 8.5*133)

The CPU database on the front page of this site shows the average overclock of the DURON 800 ot be 1000MHz. This brings up another possibilty, there is an issue that comes to light when trying to run a 100/200FSB CPU at 133/266FSB. You can read about it here;

http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=1440&p=1

In an nutshell, when the system begins to POST, the BIOS first looks to the default settings of the CPU to initiate this process. In this case the default multiplier is 8X, with a FSB of 133, this yields an overall clock speed of 1064MHz, just beyond the average. That being said you must increase the Vcore to help you get over this hump. Furthermore, as has been said so many times regarding these CPUs, watch your temperatures! You didn't state which hsf you're using, this has been the reason for many failed overclocking attempts and the ruined CPUs that come with it.

Good Luck!

hi frank. it would boot no problem with various multipliers and FSB speeds, but not be as reliable. i had it booting ok at about 960mhz with a £5 heatsink/fan. but i got it unboxed from a dodgy shop. i am selling it for £30 and getting an athlon instead.

i hope the extra cache will make a difference in future games with intensive AI or physics (especially hope to cope with World Sports Cars)

Back