• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate Single Pack DVD $199 Shipped @ The Egg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
How is the 64 bit support on Vista? Noticed this is the 32 bit model, but with the rise of dual cores and those Core 2 Duos in particular...

any major difference in the 'for system builders' stuff? $200 is a good deal (compared to amazon, etc) for ultimate.

Can someone explain difference between Oem and retail version. I would not like buy oem to find out after mobo upgrade that I need to buy new OS.

there's NO difference between OEM and retail version in function wise. only difference is the fancy big box. however, OEM usually/supposed to be bought along with other major hardware in order to qualifier to be OEM (e.g. buy a mobo, HDD, along with the OS).

LandShark said:
there's NO difference between OEM and retail version in function wise. only difference is the fancy big box. however, OEM usually/supposed to be bought along with other major hardware in order to qualifier to be OEM (e.g. buy a mobo, HDD, along with the OS).
There have been rumors of the OEM versions only being able to be activated twice.

EDIT: rumors look to be false... read this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070126/tc_zd/199653

Last edited:
Okay, so with the Vista Business that a lot of us received in the mail. We can install it, change a motherboard and cpu a couple months later, and still be able to use it?

Last edited:
I would also like to point out that this thread gave the price of OEM 32 Bit Ultimate at Newegg. OEM 64 Bit Ultimate at Newegg is exactly the same price.

eaglescouter said:
What does your EULA say?
Where do I find this? If its during the install process, I haven't looked there because I don't want to install it if I can't use it when I upgrade my mobo/cpu in a few months.....

Hmmm. I may actually pick this up. I was pretty impressed with the beta when I tried it.

Prot said:
I would also like to point out that this thread gave the price of OEM 32 Bit Ultimate at Newegg. OEM 64 Bit Ultimate at Newegg is exactly the same price.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but what's the difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions? Tried reading the "which vista is right for you?" at newegg and it didn't mention it.

Wiggin said:
Forgive my ignorance on this, but what's the difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit versions? Tried reading the "which vista is right for you?" at newegg and it didn't mention it.

For today, if you're running 3GB+ of RAM, you may benefit from the 64-bit OS, as applications running within the 32-bit OS can only access 3GB of RAM, less the address space taken by the PCI bus, from within windows.

For tomorrow, there will be 64-bit applications available which will be able to take advantage of the additional registers available with 64-bit processors. This, however is going to be pretty far off...

I've read tons about how vista isn't very good. But I have one question about the aero glass feature: Is it really easier to read diagonal text?

With all the heat and disappointment from magazines...Im going to hold off for at least another 6 months.

I don't see why you would buy the 32-bit version of Vista. As Ed pointed out on the front page the OEM version is unique in that ONLY the 32 or 64 bit version comes on the disk. So if you get the 32 bit OEM, you will have to buy the 64 bit version seperately later.

If you get the 32 bit retail, then you can use the 32 bit and then pay a less significant fee to upgrade to 64 bit off the same DVD.

Of course I would just get the 64 bit and not worry about getting another OS for years, but I could see why the 32 bit has fans for hardware compatibility.

Back