• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried (A)proc (B)Ram (C)Mobo (D)All of the above

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ecca

Hey guys I am in a desperate situation. My computer was damaged during the overclocking. I am not sure which component is damaged and I was hoping you could give me some input.

When I run stress prime beta I get a "hardware failure detected" error about 1 minute or so in.

My computer randomly crashes and struggles to post (Sometimes it takes me 4 trys to get it going) It will tun on for 3 seconds and then turn off.

I reset all the settings to stock and ran orthos and it still crashed so that proved it wasnt the overclock and now there is some part damaged.

I got 1 hour into a MemTest86 scan and there were no errors, unfortunately I had to go to work and when I got back the computer was off.

I really hope this is the ram or the motherboard; I have a good feeling that it is the ram. I had the voltage up to 2.2 (Ive done that voltage on the same exact setup before) but maybe these chips couldnt handle it. I just removed one stick and I am about to do a stress test (edit been testing for about 20 mins, stable)

I thank you for reading this and I hope I can repay you one day.

Thank you for your help and time.

While you are running at stock speed try setting all of the settings manually. Memory frequency, timmings, voltage. Or did you done that already.

That's odd that memtest power off system, especially after hour of error free ride. If memory would be faulty it give errors

Well Prime has been going for 1:18 so I am just going to let it go and if it crashes I will do what you recommended.

Thank you.

I was thinking the same thing as meiomn. If it were the RAM errors would have sprouted. Even if the RAM chips failed, wouldn't the computer still be on?

It cannot be an over heat issue. I am at 35c full load. I have about 5 Stress primes open going on about 3 hours now. I really think its fixed.

I had a similar situation last year, turned out the p/s went out and took all the m/b cap's with it. put in a new p/s and it worked for a bit, having trouble posting etc. then finally just would not start.

It ran all night with 5 Orthos tests running. If it runs all day I think it is safe to say it was the ram.

Ecca said:
It ran all night with 5 Orthos tests running. If it runs all day I think it is safe to say it was the ram.

With RAM at stock? Or different RAM ?

aliensRreal said:
I was thinking the same thing as meiomn. If it were the RAM errors would have sprouted. Even if the RAM chips failed, wouldn't the computer still be on?

Yes this is usually the case, or constant rebooting cycle.

ps2cho said:
With RAM at stock? Or different RAM ?

Yes this is usually the case, or constant rebooting cycle.
I put everything at stock and still had problems so I removed one stick and I ran othos 24 hours straight. So it was that ram.

jcw122 said:
Wait, why are you running 5 tests at once?
I was running one of each. Just trying to put my system under alot of stress. Is there something wrong with 5 at once?

Ecca said:
I put everything at stock and still had problems so I removed one stick and I ran othos 24 hours straight. So it was that ram.

I was running one of each. Just trying to put my system under alot of stress. Is there something wrong with 5 at once?

Well, there shouldn't really be any problem, but people normally run as many programs as they have CPU cores in their computer.

Man if I had that set up and my mobo or cpu fried I would be so ****ed.

It sounds like it was the RAM. If one is messed up though, I wouldn't trust the other one. If you plan on RMAing it (all ethical debates aside), you'll probably end up sending both back anyways, assuming you have a dual channel pair.

Back