• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Calculator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a little OT.. but thanks for that link on the first post. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but at least it helps makes predictions easier. I always shoot for a higher overall target watts anyway.

My set at full power I've calculated it to around 380-400W (running 3.0Ghz with my low voltage solution). That setup up there probably is pulling up there near the 500W range if everything is at its full peak mind you. Depends what type of voltage/clocks you are going to put onto that E6600, since mine can pull roughly 130W+ easily with a 3.5Ghz clock.

With a high quality PSU like that though you should be fine and depending on how many fans you have in the case you should still have more room to expand.

deathman20 said:
My set at full power I've calculated it to around 380-400W (running 3.0Ghz with my low voltage solution). That setup up there probably is pulling up there near the 500W range if everything is at its full peak mind you. Depends what type of voltage/clocks you are going to put onto that E6600, since mine can pull roughly 130W+ easily with a 3.5Ghz clock.

With a high quality PSU like that though you should be fine and depending on how many fans you have in the case you should still have more room to expand.

Everything is at stock. I have a fanbus powering 3 x 120mm fans and 1 x 92mm fan

Hehehehe running my CPU at 4.125 with 1.65 Vcore that calculator says 802Watts. I think at peak draw thats probably pretty close. I swear sometimes my lights dim in my room when I am benching :)

Those psu calculators overcompensate quite a bit IMO.

I had a pretty beefy system on an OCZ Powerstream 520W. It had a maximum of like 620W. That Outervision calculator said I needed like 850W....I am pretty sure that my PSU wasnt magically providing 200W over it's max output.

Section8: That is a pretty serious system, but I'd bet you aren't pulling more than maybe 600W MAX with that system. Of course the Vapo adds to that from the wall...but from the PSU, you most likely aren't hitting anywhere near 802W.

jivetrky said:
Section8: That is a pretty serious system, but I'd bet you aren't pulling more than maybe 600W MAX with that system. Of course the Vapo adds to that from the wall...but from the PSU, you most likely aren't hitting anywhere near 802W.

Yeah I figure it is only drawing around 700ish watts at peak draw. I went with a 1K PSU so that I can add on to the system later. :)

The calc says I need 589w.....
5 fans, 1 pump, 2 sata, 4800 X2, fan controller, 2 dvd's, and my lovely 8800gts...
It's actually probably pretty close...

Ducatti said:
The calc says I need 589w.....
5 fans, 1 pump, 2 sata, 4800 X2, fan controller, 2 dvd's, and my lovely 8800gts...
It's actually probably pretty close...

That system would not be pulling that much juice.

You are pulling MAYBE 350-400W tops. (and that's assuming your x2 4800+ is overclocked)

here's an article at HardOCP.com. They measured the output of this sytem:
Our system consists of an eVGA 680i SLI motherboard, an Intel X6800, Corsair DDR3-PC9600 running at its rated 1200MHz, two 150GB Western Digital Raptor hard drives, one Maxtor 40GB hard drive, one Koolance Exos water cooling system, and of course the video card

jivetrky said:
That system would not be pulling that much juice.

You are pulling MAYBE 350-400W tops. (and that's assuming your x2 4800+ is overclocked)

That's good to hear.... I have been getting concerned that I am adding too much stuff with not enough go juice in the PS.... Now I can safely gorge myself on power consuming upgrades!! NewEgg Ho!!!! :santa:

jivetrky said:

They're taking their readings from the wall, so if we were to assume 80% efficiency, it would come out to just 276W for the GTX system.

Back