• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new unknown devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the adam

Four random "unknown devices" showed up in my device manager after one of my windows files got corrupted (unstable OC).

Its not a big deal or anything but i was just wondering what they are from... the only info i have is:
ROOT\LEGACY_AUDIOSRV\0000
ROOT\LEGACY_MSDTC\0000
ROOT\LEGACY_NLA\0000
ROOT\LEGACY_RPCSS\0000

Anyone know what they are from?

I've seen this on a few occassions. Sometimes it was windows file and/or driver corruption (trying running SFC /scannow and insert your windows install disc to check your system file versions). At other times it's been malware/virus/rootkit infections of some type.

The last time I saw this was last week, and I ended up having to reformat. All web browsers were failing to connect to the web, and I noticed a few devices in device mangler listed as 'unknown'. Naturally I uninstalled these and they never came back... ??? lol

I'm a seasoned tech so I tried all the basics, and even some more advance stuff. Out of desperation I even tried an overlay/repair windows install to no avail. I could ping web addresses fine from a command prompt. Obviously the tcp/ip stack was rebuilt as part of the troubleshooting, and no rogue host file entires either. I'm leaning towards some form of infection that neither my trusty trend micro nor full spysweeper scans could detect or repair, though they did find a few less malicious items.

[/babbling]

yeah i just uninstalled them and it hasn't nothing bad has happened so far. Thx for giving me the sfc /scannow command... helped me fix a computer that kept crashing for unknown reasons.

the adam said:
Thx for giving me the sfc /scannow command... helped me fix a computer that kept crashing for unknown reasons.

Glad to hear it actually worked. I do it more out of habit and training than actual rate of success for resolving issues. :p

Back