• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra-d lan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blohin

Hi all of you,
I hope someone can help me with my problem. Here is my system spec before I start:
CPU: opty 165 (now stock speed)
Mem: 2x1gb patriot signature pc3200
mobo: dfi nf4 ultra-d
Video: ati radeon x1900gt
sound: sb live 5.1
and onboard lan ports.

About problem now:
I play UT2K4 Invasion and I am experiencing some kind of lag. I used to have problems with comcast connection, but I am not sure anymore. Before my upstrean light on cable modem will go off and I knew thats the problem. Since then 4 different comcast technicians came to fix it and changed so many cables and modem as well.
Now cable modem lights remain on, but i get same problem - all players and monsters run into wall and i can still hear the action for min or so then when i browse servers I see that I am not in the server anymore.
I tried both lan ports of this mobo and its same. I run win xp pro 32bit. Now I got x64-bit xp pro installed and its same (meaning its not on settings).
I tried with or without router and same result.
Please if anyone has an idea am desperate here.
Thank you.

Is there some kind of way to monitor your ping within the online games? Have you ran any broadband speed tests to make sure your getting the proper bandwidth they claim to give you? It's highly unlikely you have two bad network ports on the board.

Hey there,
I get great ping on servers I play (from 28 to 36) and broadband speed shows ok. Comcast replaced my modem and whole cabling so I think its my computer.
When I play now I get connection loss and quickly I minimize game and open any web page once it loads (and that takes up to 20 sec sometimes) I go back in game and its ok for a while, then it comes again after some time.
Its like Power management is letting my nic to save power, but I did uncheck box to to do that so it shouldnt happen.
I dont know anymore what to do. Shame I dont have any crappy nic to test it.

Any other ideas?

Do you have the latest BIOS? I think I'd try an update/reflash of the current BIOS, with a reset of course.

tuskenraider said:
Do you have the latest BIOS? I think I'd try an update/reflash of the current BIOS, with a reset of course.
I forgot to say that b4, i did flash to latest bios.
And I dont have no one to get nic card to test.

if its like a lan drop out i used to have the same problem. it'd go fine for a while and then just stop, some times it would come back but usually i would have to restart.

i found a fix for it on dfistreet forums but some one was telling me they dont exist any more.

heres the jist of it and its kinda odd you wouldnt think this would fix it.

go to the Device Manager under your system properties, expand Computer and right click on the only icon that sould be there, click update driver, click install from a list, click next, click dont search, then next again, then select "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" then next and install it how ever it says

it fixed it for me

Ok, I tried that but then i didn't have both cores running under windows; and it still drops connection while my notebook plays online radio without stoping.
I had ghost image so I reverted back.
Any other ideas please?

There is one unknown device i got there, no idea what it is.
Any ideas?

puter.jpg

just get a $10 NIC, throw it in an available PCI slot, move on. this is a known quirk, i have had several DFI boards and the onboard lan fubars itself sooner or later....

i keep several around...the NICS, that is, use them for the test bench and emergencies....

laterz,

baldy

Are you saying that you had a same kind of connection drops?

Adding a pci nic would be a problem for me, as I cant jam another pci card in there.
I got my ATI x1900gt with silencer, soundcard and tv card. There is no more space for anything. Also I got Thermaltake Big Typhoon which kills other side of video card.
:cry:

Back