• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

voltage vs. temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

akkuma

well I finally got my water cool loop going great, but I can only get my e4300 up to 3.25ghz. Now thats at 1.5v (lowest stable), my temps at 100% full load is 51*. Now my question is can I safely keep bumping voltage up as long as my temps stay low, in order to get stable operation above 3.25ghz? I'm really nervouse going past 1.5v (was nervouse about 1.5 in the first place).

I see mixed opinions on the matter. I dont think itll be an immediate death sentence for the chip. Since its only a $113 chip, i threw caution to the wind and volted it to 1.55 on air cooling to get to 3400. Its very stable for daily tasks, even staying on for weeks at a time, but orthos will crap out after an hour or two. I dont want to go any higher simply because of my temps.

I ran an uber overclocked Athlon XP for about 3 years and it is still running just fine. Like GuitsBoy says, it is a very cheap processor so if you need it faster then go for it assuming your temps really are acceptable. The question really is ... are those few extra MHz really worth it? That question only you can answer.

ya the extra mhz are worth it (not that I need it)... mostly cause I built my computer for so damn cheap and I planned on upgrading the processor later this year anyways so as long as it doesn't crap out in the next few months I don't really care about lasting years on end. I started this to get the best performance per dollar, but that went out the window when I decided to watercool. However I'm in the middle of one of my car projects (building another rx7) and my budget to spend on my computer won't be freed up for 2 more months.. but if the voltage won't insta fry it I may crank it up some more then, thanks guys

Shouldn't insta fry with more voltage but really how much more is necessary? The CPU is defiantly at a nice speed its not slow in any respect.

If the extra speeds not needed I wouldn't consider it. Sure if you want to find the max clock of the chip by all means pump voltage into it just be warned something could happen. What happened is you probably hit a wall, where its going to take alot more voltage to even continue to higher speeds.

Back