• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help. I've searched the forum long enough.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NedClocker

I know I saw this thread somewhere but I can't find it. What was the verdict for the best C2D mobo to get?

What's its main function?

How much are you willing to spend?

I got that cheap but useful ASRock Dual775-VSTA board that takes all your old DDR & AGP hardware but can still use C2D chips. There's a newer version that even takes quad cores. Both sell for less than $60. Your total cost would be ~$250 for mobo/cpu. Forget about OCing though. This is just a bridging platform as you incrementally upgrade the hardware.

A new system build using the latest new components with a mid-range card can cost just under $1k.

I've just received an Asus Commando P965 to replace my ASRock as I've finally updated all my old components enough to move over to a P965 board.

There is a real good deal on a DFI P965 that looks to be a gaming/OC screamer for ~$140. There's also the GigaByte DS3 P965 for $120. But you'll need DDR2 and PCIe graphics.

There's also 975 and the NV 680i boards for more $$$.

For SMP_FAH you can't beat that ASRock platform. You can convert old P4 & Socket A platforms for <$250 each. ChasR has been doing that.

I was gonna say, that mobo has Quad Core support. :thup:

I have one sitting here, getting ready to throw a chip in it.

ASUS P5B-E
Gigabyte DS3
ASUS P5W-DH
ASUS Commando

And if you want to upgrade on the cheap, Audio has it nailed.

Depends what best means ... the gigabye 965p s3 is just as good an oc'er as the ds3, but cheaper with standard caps instead of solid state.
P5b-d is also a good one.

Is it just for folding ( ie need lots of feature or none)?
What c2d are you thinking of (ie low multi 63x0 or high 6600 or higher) ?
Will you be able to put fast memory in it?

ChasR said:
And if you want to upgrade on the cheap, Audio has it nailed.

I see lots of talk about mobos and chips but little about memory. How much is enough for a Linux SMP rig? E6600. DDR1

cw823 said:
I see lots of talk about mobos and chips but little about memory. How much is enough for a Linux SMP rig? E6600. DDR1

Good point! I need to know how to match the memory to the mobo and proc, too!

NedClocker said:
Good point! I need to know how to match the memory to the mobo and proc, too!
the super talent series got some excellent results, there is a thread inthe memory section regarding 'budget sticks' with some sweet results on the 2*512 and 2*1g series of 5300 and 6400

Abit QuadGT locking down the 1066 strap (If pure 24/7 CPU performance is what your looking for at any $)
2:3 mem divider if your ram can handle it at the given clock will also boost CPU performance.

golfingtigger said:
Glad to hear that. Guess it means I have a good mobo to put a new C2D chip on. I was wondering if it was good enough, but didn't take the time to research the forums.

It is a great mobo ... on low multi c2d's like the 63x0, the 975's mobo's don't reach as high an fsb oc as 965 mobo's, but for folding i don't think it matters since there are very few cpu's that will fold stable at much over 400 fsb.

Back