• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need to upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Houdy

Registered
Long time reader..

Anyhow, if things go the right way, then Enemy Territory: Quake Wars should be out sometime next month and I will be playing it non stop. I am a power gamer I plan on playing all the top-named games from each genre as they come out and of course, I want to play them to their fullest potential.
Having said that.. my current rig:

Pentium D 930, 3.0Ghz.. running at stock..never Oc'ed (don't yell at me!)
ABIT AW8-Max
2 gigs (2x1) DDR 667 PC2 5400
Radeon x1800XT 256meg
WD 250gig SATA 3.0G/s
ENERMAX Whisper II EG465P-VE FMA(24) ATX12V 460W
I use the onboard sound and always plan to.. not a huge audiophile
I think those are enough specs to make the call eh?

Right now I'm playing WoW, C&C3, BF2, Stalker and whatever else.. and while those games run fine, they do choke up a bit when I run at the higher settings.. especially Stalker (naturally).

Should I make the jump to a better cpu? would i want or need a new mobo if I stay within the Pentium line (I keep reading about the new dual cores ..specifically the E6300 or E6320.. would i gain a big performance increase with one of those at stock?)
should i simply overclock?
new video card?
2 gigs of RAM seem to be good still.. anyone know otherwise?

Do I need to upgrade at all? It's been a year, I have some money..just looking for thoughts.

They have a higher L2 cache, great OCing potential, if you feel you need to upgrade do it :p

If you want a new gfx, the 8800 is nice, but it might hurt your wallet :p

It's not that I feel the need to upgrade, it's just that when I bought my rig a year ago (nearly to the day), it was good, but not great. It was upper middle of the road.. so I figured that since a year already went bye, and my machine wasn't "top dog" when I first got it.. shouldn't it be upgrade time by now?

Maybe I'm wrong?

Swap out the motherboard and processor with maybe a ds3 v1.3 ($99.00 at the eg right now) and an e6420 ($189 IIRC). With this setup you could do 2.6 without even overclocking your ram. If that doesn't bring your performance to where you want it then get a new video card. The 320mb 8800gts is a great value IMHO. Or for a few bucks more get a 640mb version or a 2900xt.

Back