• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still Here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DerekT

I haven't been here since my move from an Opteron 165 @ 2.8Ghz to an E6300 @ 3.4Ghz. That was quite some time ago. I'm surprised there are still so many enthusiasts in AMD.

A bit of a misnomed oxymoron isn't it?

AMD Enthusiast

I remember all the AMD guys coming into the Intel forum and harassing them. I don't see that happening in reverse so I thought I would just let all know that they are second fiddle.

PWatterson said:
AMD still has perks. Dual Core for 75 bucks is pretty sweet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103733

Combine that with some cheap parts and you can still build quite the capable rig with AMD. As for as the entusiast in concerned, Intel certainly has the edge at the moment.

I agree. For the low end, one can build a rig that is decent enough. If they can't spend a few dollars more. :shrug:

Still, this doesn't change the fact that moderators in all these enthusiast forums had to heavily police the Intel forums for AMD fanboys creating dissension.

Don't see much of that happening here, do we?

Intel fan's do seem less enthusiastic.
Kinda reminds me of the PC Mac commercials, only who is who?

DerekT said:
I haven't been here since my move from an Opteron 165 @ 2.8Ghz to an E6300 @ 3.4Ghz. That was quite some time ago. I'm surprised there are still so many enthusiasts in AMD.

AMD Enthusiast

I remember all the AMD guys coming into the Intel forum and harassing them. I don't see that happening in reverse so I thought I would just let all know that they are second fiddle.

:shrug:

Both Intel and AMD have fanboys.

I like AMD, been using them since my Athlon 750. No reason for me to change to Intel as my chip can do anything the Intel chips can do, just may do it a tad slower, which is fine to me :)

DerekT said:

AMD Enthusiast

Funny, I see it happening right now.

hUMANbEATbOX said:

And counter you did quite well. I did not know that they will still using Pentium with some of their new stuff. Pretty neat.

Perhaps this is a bit unfounded claim, but I like AMD and DFI for the overclocking. All that RAM timings really make it fun to tinker around with. Correct me if I am wrong (I have been out of the loop for a few months), but no intel board has the number of Ram timings to tinker with.

I cant really afford to upgrade to C2D, and dont see the point in it since all I play is Counter Strike: Source, my 939 setup can play that at high settings with 60+ fps.

"Don't see much of that happening here, do we?"

Not until you came in here to deliberately stir the pot.

For the record, when the Core 2 Duos were first released, there were in fact a few instigational threads posted here by Intel fanboys. It's immature, and it doesn't happen often, but it does occasionally happen as evidenced by your thread here today.

PWatterson said:
Correct me if I am wrong (I have been out of the loop for a few months), but no intel board has the number of Ram timings to tinker with.

no, you are correct. you get many more options with respect to ram with a64's.

i wasn't trying to stir the pot any more than it was, just a counter. :)

the price is right on either cpu. if all you need is a basic desktop computer or even something with a little oomph in it, a 3600+ is still a very strong cpu.

Some of us (AMD Fanboys) are still enthusiastic about AMDs offerings. Sure conroes are something to envy for speed at the time but speed is not always the major choice. Right now we feel like an army sent to war without the equipment we need but I say fight (intel) with what you got!

No this thread is fairly tame compared to what used to happen. Keep the intel comments to constructive comparisons, it's people jumping into X-brand threads and trying to sell the OP Y-brand that got annoying.

Yeah, I remember the ones that went on for five plus pages at least. There used to be some heated exchanges in those, too. We seem to be fairly civil at the moment.

I suppose I do look at Intel sometimes as something of an "evil empire." I will be trying an Intel proc for the first time since the 20th century this July, but I still remember the horror of the first family computer powered by a Celeron. Granted Celerons aren't good for anything, it was still enough of an unpleasant experience to make me an AMD fan. It doesn't really matter, whoever provides the best cost/performance ratio generally gets my money.

Methinks the AMD fanboys protest too much at my statements.

Enjoy the bottom end boys and I must say that it is nice to hear your protests at this post.

Keep in mind that I am not accusing anyone of being fanboys though, and all I said was it seems rather different how few Intel afficionados come in here in comparison to how many of the AMD afficionados who came into the Intel forum and constantly caused havoc.

Some of your responses were to jump on me for recognizing this. :beer:

hUMANbEATbOX said:

That isn't much of a counter though with a 1.6ghz stock speed and a 4x multiplier, you would need 500mhz FSB to even reach the stock clock speeds of the X2 3800+. Sure it still would hold a 15% performance/clock advantage, but the X2 would easily hit 2.6-2.8 where it would dominate.

Of course the X2 3800+ is a good deal, but the Brisbane 3600+ is a better one. This chip is $60 at Newegg right now, about half the price of an E4300, and will do 2.8-3ghz easily. After overclocking the 4300 will be significantly faster, but twice as fast? Not nearly.

This is why you still see a decent amount of activity in the AMD forums, there are great chips available for rock bottom prices, and these chips are overkill for what most people want to do with them.

Yes for those who want the absolute best performance C2Ds are most certainly the way to go. The AMD fans know it, and the Intel people know they know it, so why come here to rub it in?

I think what you saw before wasn't a barrage of AMD users going into the Intel forums to harass people, but there were several overzealous AMD fanboys whose presence was felt in the Intel sections.

"Keep in mind that I am not accusing anyone of being fanboys though, and all I said was it seems rather different how few Intel afficionados come in here in comparison to how many of the AMD afficionados who came into the Intel forum and constantly caused havoc."

If that was truly all you meant to say, then you would have done so in a diplomatic manner. The fact that you used the following:

"A bit of a misnomed oxymoron isn't it? AMD Enthusiast"

"...so I thought I would just let all know that they are second fiddle."

"Enjoy the bottom end boys"

...all show your real intentions. You didn't start this thread as a matter-of-fact discussion of the AMD/Intel rivalry; rather, you started this thread deliberately to talk down to people that you feel are inferior or that you feel wronged you in past exchanges. Your entire purpose in starting this thread was to cast petty insults, NOT to inspire earnest discussion, and no amount of doubletalk and dishonesty on your part can hide that.

You, sir, are a hypocrite.

For the record, I think you choice of tense is interesting here:

"...and all I said was it seems rather different how few Intel afficionados COME in here..."

Present tense, yes? And the only Intel fanboy who is presently engaging in mudslinging on the AMD board is you, sir.

"...in comparison to how many of the AMD afficionados who CAME into the Intel forum and constantly caused havoc."

Past tense, no? I just looked over the last five or six pages on the Intel board. There is not one thread topic in those pages that looks like flamewar fodder posted by AMD fans. Granted, I haven't bothered to read through them all because that would require a lot of time that I just don't have and don't really care to spend, but on the Intel board I presently see zero AMD fanboys inciting riots, while on the AMD board there is presently one person who is:

You.

I find it all funny, AMD was the choice for years then Intel finally came through and gave the people what they wanted but not after years of the famous Pentium.

Can't wait for AMD to start it back up again and you'll see the people that jumped ship come back on the ship again.

Back