• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia 8500GT Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaestroX

Registered
Hello all,

I have a nVidia 8500GT (no where near the power of what some of you guys here have ;)), and I'm interested in overclocking it. With ATI tool I managed to increased the clock speed by about 50% while the system kept stable. The temps rose a bit too high though. What GPU cooling could you recommend?

I would generally like it quiet and it must be small as I'm currently working on a shuttle XPC. I've heard good things about the Zalman range but I can never find if my card is compatible. :s

Last edited:
The zalman 700 and 900 and both great choices. They are generally compatible with almost any card, but may not be officially supported yet. I would wait until Zalman updates their info to say its compatible with 8 series card to invest in one. While the 900 cools about 4c-8c better than the 700, the 700 may be plenty for you with that card.

i see the reviews for this card and almost every model gets way too hot, i dont know how you got that to stay stable with an oc, lol, yea 700 should be a good, cheap choice, could always go with the new 92mm fan thermalright, its a mid range cooling great for that card

Hi thanks for the feedback,

Yeah I really wish I looked about a bit more before buying this card. The temps are usually 70c plus when under load! Overall it performs quiet well (can play oblivion almost full graphical settings at 1280 x 1024).

It looks like the Zalman might fit (i've only got 4cm height from my card to the side) Here's a pic:

attachment.php

When is it likely that the 8 series is to be supported? I can wait around for a bit as I've still to perform some modifications on my case and air flow (check the thread here)

Cheers!

MaestroX said:

Yeah I really wish I looked about a bit more before buying this card. The temps are usually 70c plus when under load! Overall it performs quiet well (can play oblivion almost full graphical settings at 1280 x 1024).

It looks like the Zalman might fit (i've only got 4cm height from my card to the side) Here's a pic:

attachment.php

When is it likely that the 8 series is to be supported? I can wait around for a bit as I've still to perform some modifications on my case and air flow (check the thread here)

Cheers!

OMFG that is the tinyest gpu cooler i have EVER seen... the hs on my FX5200 was bigger... no wonder your card overheats lol. I have a vf900 let me measure the height for ya....

EDIT: from the top of the core side of the PCB to the top of the vf900 its 31.75mm. this will vary a lil bit depending on how much taller the core is from the pcb but that wont vary more than a milimeter or so.

and the VF700 is taller than the VF900 so... also what is the distance from center to center of 2 of the holes that would hold a hs on. this will tell you if a zalman will work.

Edit: also if you wanted something sweet i would get a vf900 stick it on the card then mark and cut an 80mm vent hole right over the VF900 so you would give theat lil case some ventalation! also take the grill off the inside CPU fan and dremel off the back exaust grill.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and measurements :)

I'm expecting the arrival of a new case soon so I can hopefully cut a little 80mm hole in there just to make sure the vf900 will fit. Hopefully this will get the temps down because man they are 70c idle!

70C is pretty cold for a video card. Don't get worried until it hits 95C+ loaded.

I've got the same video card(512 MB). I think i have to buy a cooler for it,because it's overclocked and always around 70C,which is bad i think. But i have a heatsink.
Here are some SS's:
p1010701sr7.jpg

p1010704wu7.jpg

I want to place a fan on that heatsink. And which fan should i buy for that? Or do i have to remove the heatsink then place the fan.

Can an admin delete my previous post. Sorry about that

If you have the room for it seacher, then just put a 120mm fan on it and ziptie it to the 8500. I had the PNY silent pipe 8500GT and did that until I got my 8800GT and then I passed that card down my brother in law lol. He seems to like 2 of them in sli (although his is a different card maker).

attachment.php

Cheers!

I'm not sure that buying a $40 GPU heatsink is a smart move when you can get a video card (3650/8600GT) which would crush it for $5-10 more. Not to mention theres an 8800GT out there for $70 AR.

I've got the same video card(512 MB). I think i have to buy a cooler for it,because it's overclocked and always around 70C,which is bad i think. But i have a heatsink.
Here are some SS's:
p1010701sr7.jpg

p1010704wu7.jpg

I want to place a fan on that heatsink. And which fan should i buy for that? Or do i have to remove the heatsink then place the fan.

Can an admin delete my previous post. Sorry about that

I would ziptie an 80-120mm fan on there, whatever you can find on sale or make fit easily. I tend to use 80s because I can get them for free by scavenging old computers and power supplies.

Hey funny, can you link me that $70 8800Gt please. That seems like a frickin' steal of a deal after rebate. Thanks.

But over the heatsink or do i have to remove the heatsink, then place the fan?

I know im such a big noob on overclocking things(good in software lol)

Last edited:
Hey funny, can you link me that $70 8800Gt please. That seems like a frickin' steal of a deal after rebate. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125089

But over the heatsink or do i have to remove the heatsink, then place the fan?

I know im such a big noob on overclocking things(good in software lol)

Do NOT remove the heatsink and put just a fan there. The heatsink "sinks" heat away from the chip and the fan cools the heatsink. The idea is simply to get more airflow over the heatsink. You could even take the side off your case and point a table fan at the video card.

I was like WTF!! until i saw that it's the 256MB version. Still, not a bad price for an 8800GT 256MB. But i'd rather have a 512Mb...

For a folding machine, that 256MB version is the bee's knees :)

just haven't heard "bees knees" in a while thought it was funny...

not sure that I would worry to much about 70°c temps on that card to the point of spending $$ to cool it. Just my 2 cents.

Too bad you said you needed a small HS, I love my Accelero S1 - passive cooling that works great even for an OC 8800GT while keeping temps down in the 50s under load, fanless. But it's BIG.

personally i wouldn't advise spending additional money on your 8500gt. i would say save the money and put it towards a new card. i understand with the shuttle you've got some spatial restrictions, but you might be able to fit an 8800gt 512 or a Radeon 4850 in there.

what model shuttle do you have?

Back