• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Graphics Card at the moment??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul.K

Hi all,

What is the best graphics card at the moment price and performance wise....

Paul.K

Best Performance:Geforce3 Ti500
Best Price/Performance:Radeon 8500(almost as fast yet a 100$ cheaper)

I second funnyperson1

Yep I would agree, G3 Ti500 at this time for performance, then a retail 8500 for price/performance and it is very close to be honest but its a better buy at $100 cheaper

Cisco kid:D

Performance = radeon 8500

Price/Performance = Radeon 8500

I don't why some people still think the ti500 has better performance. After the new drivers came out the Radeon destroyed the ti500 in just as many areas as the ti500 beat the 8500.

check out the radeon 8500's Anisotropic Filtering. It completely annihilated that of the ti500.

I agree, the 8500 is the way to go for the best performing video card. It's as close, as fast or faster than the Ti500 in almost all regards and it's still got room to grow driver-wise. Plus, like everone else has said it's at least $100 cheaper.

ok, i do like to side with the gf3 ti500 on this one...i dont know about you guys, but i like an expensive card to work perfectly RIGHT when i get out of the box, i dont want to have to wait for the company to get their issues together and fix them when i can get a great card for a little more that doesnt have problems....so theres my $0.02

Ranger Joe, I see your point but the the Radeon 8500's new drivers are pretty much flawless at this time. All of the major problems with he orginal drivers have been fixed. What you said makes sense if you bought the card a few months ago. At this time all you would have to do is stick the card in and download the latest drivers. You would not "have to wait",and like it was posted in another thread, nvidia has driver problems of thier own.

i have heard that even with the new drivers...with smoothvision enabled....the card doesnt run as smooth as it should being one of the best in the market...if im wrong then thats my fault....but if not then i think it was a good/bad idea on ATI's part because they put a feature on a card that wont run well without driver updates.....thats just my opinion tho...not trying to start a huge debate

edit: forgot the good part of my comment.....so here it is.....the idea of what smoothvision does is really neat and i think what it will do is really neat.....so just add that if you please.....later

The 3 G's

i dig it when someone asks a question like this, it's like asking "what is the meaning of life?"
or "explain einstein's theory of relativity to me, in less than 10 sentences, with single syllable words"

:p

Some one can get flamed for this comment.

BITBOYS OWNS J00!!! hehehehe j/k:beer:

but seriously, ATi has done a excellent job with the Radeon, ok so drivers were messed up on first launch but hey nobodys perfect. I don't care to pick a side in graphics wars, cause competion is good and keeps a company from charging whatever they want for it.(curse MS) You can only buy whats best at the time you want to buy, if something comes out later that faster oh well, thats the price we pay for a constantly changing technology.

Snoogans

Well, 3DMark2001 did prove that the 8500 performed better, but I would still get the Geforce 3 Ti 500 since the majority of the newest games will be supporting Nvidia, not ATI.

Huh what are you talking about

WeaponX said:
Well, 3DMark2001 did prove that the 8500 performed better, but I would still get the Geforce 3 Ti 500 since the majority of the newest games will be supporting Nvidia, not ATI.

The 8500 will supprot more features that appear in future games than the Ti500, so I think you are a bit mixed up in what you are saying.

vote for the 8500 cause at this time for $100 cheaper and with a decent driver the card now rocks and will only get better!!!

lovin my 7500

Cisco Kid:D

I paid $229 for my GF3 from NewEgg. Bought a Gainward GF3 Powerpack, came with DVI, TV Out, DVD player software. Currently running at 240/530 and scores 8286 on 3DMark2001 default tests. Good enough performance for me.

What?

"... since the majority of the newest games will be supporting Nvidia, not ATI."

You need to do your homework on video cards, WeaponX. Both Radeon and GF2/3 support OpenGL and DirectX, the API's with which game graphics are (most commonly) created. Game makers don't build for a certain brand. Even so, since ATI is doing so well with the Radeon, and many folks are buying it because of the price point, new games will most definitely be supporting any proprietary features on both cards.

It's a 'clarification'.

Back