• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling build, help me finalize please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrlister

Ok so after endless hours of reading and research I've come up with this for my new setup.

First, the order of the loop:
  1. pump (Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech)
  2. radiator (HQ Labs Black Ice GT Xtreme 480)
  3. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  4. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  5. pump (Laing DDC w/ Petra'sTech)
  6. radiator (HQ Labs Black Ice GT Xtreme 480)
  7. cpu (D-TEK Customs Fuzion)
  8. chipset (EK-MOSFET Asus1)
  9. reservoir (EK-RES250)

Other items:

Ok so hopefully I got everything right. My overall goal is to get temperatures as low as possible because the system will get very hot when OC.

Are you going to have two loops? 2 pumps? I think 1 pump can work it's way through all that.

First, I think it's debatable, but to be frank, it looks like you've got the dough to carry you through, then I'd go to the Apogee GTX instead of the D-Tek. But if you are gonna stick to it, is this the same thing at Petras (http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuuncpubl1.html), it's a little cheaper.

I'd opt for a T-line over a reservoir, since I just recently did both. T-line, much cheaper, easier. Bleeding isn't as long as people had first told me, it was actually pretty quick. Either way, if you're running two loops, you need 2 T lines or 2 reservoirs and 2 rads.

I'd also get metal hose clamps... i kinda like the look better, and it feels more secure.

And fans, if you're getting the x4, I assume you don't really care about sound... if you don't, you could try x8 fans, lol. Some say it's a bit overkill, but I think ontop of the extra coolin, it also looks good.

And finally, the fan controller is a 3-pin, while the fans of your choice are molex 4pins. You would need something like this http://www.petrastechshop.com/3pinto4pinad.html to help you maintain your fans via fan controller.

Personally I feel the D-tek fusion and the Apogee GTX are kinda a waste. They may get you a tad better cooling but the Apogee GT does a really good job.

Definitely agree with treatmentx about the T-line. Much easier to work with over a reservoir.

Plastic clamps are a lot better imo. Easy to get on and off and dont leak. Not to mention they dont cut into the tubing like metal clamps will.

mrlister said:
Ok so after endless hours of reading and research I've come up with this for my new setup.

3. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  4. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  9. reservoir (EK-RES250)

Other items:

Ok so hopefully I got everything right. My overall goal is to get temperatures as low as possible because the system will get very hot when OC.
Can you send us some pictures of your setup once done, you must have a big case and even a bigger budget for spending on PC modding....wish I was you...:beer:

treatmentx said:
Are you going to have two loops? 2 pumps? I think 1 pump can work it's way through all that.

First, I think it's debatable, but to be frank, it looks like you've got the dough to carry you through, then I'd go to the Apogee GTX instead of the D-Tek. But if you are gonna stick to it, is this the same thing at Petras (http://www.petrastechshop.com/dfuuncpubl1.html), it's a little cheaper.

I'd opt for a T-line over a reservoir, since I just recently did both. T-line, much cheaper, easier. Bleeding isn't as long as people had first told me, it was actually pretty quick. Either way, if you're running two loops, you need 2 T lines or 2 reservoirs and 2 rads.

I'd also get metal hose clamps... i kinda like the look better, and it feels more secure.

And fans, if you're getting the x4, I assume you don't really care about sound... if you don't, you could try x8 fans, lol. Some say it's a bit overkill, but I think ontop of the extra coolin, it also looks good.

And finally, the fan controller is a 3-pin, while the fans of your choice are molex 4pins. You would need something like this http://www.petrastechshop.com/3pinto4pinad.html to help you maintain your fans via fan controller.
I'm looking for something that would have some mean cooling to it. I want the temp to be as cool as possible without a phase unit. One loop but pump in series though just to give it another push after it goes through the first radiator, then gpu then gpu.

Fans I'm auctually getting 8 :) 4 for each radiator, loud music usually tunes out everything up to 80dB do no worries there ;)

Metal clamps are a definite must. I'd have a heart attack if i got a leak onto the hardware i'm putting in.

I think the fuzion is better then the apogee gtx. Have a look at http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hard...gtx-vs-storm-vs-fuzion-vs-apogee-vanilla.html

Brolloks said:
Can you send us some pictures of your setup once done, you must have a big case and even a bigger budget for spending on PC modding....wish I was you...:beer:
Will, do. Wait till you see what's going in.

Last edited:
mrlister said:
I'm looking for something that would have some mean cooling to it. I want the temp to be as cool as possible without a phase unit. One loop but pump in series though just to give it another push after it goes through the first radiator, then gpu then gpu.

Fans I'm auctually getting 8 :) 4 for each radiator, loud music usually tunes out everything up to 80dB do no worries there ;)

Metal clamps are a definite must. I'd have a heart attack if i got a leak onto the hardware i'm putting in.

I think the fuzion is better then the apogee gtx. Have a look at http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hard...gtx-vs-storm-vs-fuzion-vs-apogee-vanilla.html

Will, do. Wait till you see what's going in.

But I think there's alot of ongoing debate... and if you look at the final conclusion from Nikhsub1's results, alot of the debate is just the proper mounting, how the loop is set up, and which test etc etc. I gotta say, remounting is probably the biggest factor.

After alot of remounting, or mounting poorly, bowed or not bowed, application of AS5, etc. has thrown off some of the numbers we're seeing. I'd go with Nikhsub1's conclusion... which is they're all good, minimal difference at best, and it's all mounting.

However, given that you are having alot of things in the loop, and the Fuzion has a debatable better flow.... *shrug*

Just curious, will that be in case or not? if so what case?

Quad rad is large and not cheap, almost 3 times what I paid for triple.

You've got some serious overkill there. :D

I think you've got the right idea putting everything in one loop. That way, you make the best use of both rads. But I'm afraid your order is going to make that loop a PITA to bleed. I don't believe it matters for closed loop if series pumps are next to each other or distributed through the loop. And the order doesn't matter much to temps (c=.0038*watts/gpm). So consider putting both pumps after the res and both rads together. For about 1/3C on your GPU's, you could do somethign like this:
res>pump>pump>rad>rad>CPU>chipset>GPU>GPU>res

;)
mrlister said:

3. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  4. gpu (EK Full Cover)
  9. reservoir (EK-RES250)

Other items:

Did you ever finish this setup? Would like to see some pics...

Otter said:
For about 1/3C on your GPU's, you could do somethign like this:
For the sake of clarity, that's one third of one degree Celsius, not 1 to 3C.

I'd like to see how it turns out too. :)

I believe a separation of pumps is a good idea. Most blocks are designed/tested to have water pushed through them, not pulled. A very small difference, but if you're seeking some theoretical maximum that's the way to go.

And bleeding shouldn't be a problem - just use the first pump (the one after the res) by itself for awhile before starting up #2. That should fill the loop and get most of the big air pockets out. Then kick in #2 and start pushing the smaller pockets out. That method seemed to work the best for me. :)

Otter said:
You've got some serious overkill there. :D

I think you've got the right idea putting everything in one loop. That way, you make the best use of both rads. But I'm afraid your order is going to make that loop a PITA to bleed. I don't believe it matters for closed loop if series pumps are next to each other or distributed through the loop. And the order doesn't matter much to temps (c=.0038*watts/gpm). So consider putting both pumps after the res and both rads together. For about 1/3C on your GPU's, you could do somethign like this:
Actually, having the rads separated would have a slight advantage, wouldn't it, since the delta would be slightly higher for the second rad if they're separate? I know, the water temp doesn't change much throughout the loop - we're talking a small difference here, but still (all else being equal) a bigger delta = more heat released, right ...?

QuietIce said:
Actually, having the rads separated would have a slight advantage, wouldn't it, since the delta would be slightly higher for the second rad if they're separate? I know, the water temp doesn't change much throughout the loop - we're talking a small difference here, but still (all else being equal) a bigger delta = more heat released, right ...?

From a thermodynamic and heat transfer point you are correct, however not sure how much you would gain over loss in flow rate, friction losses, the proof is in running a comparison...

I wasn't talking about ADDING a second rad - that's already in the works as I understand it. I was just considering the loop order. At 1.5 GPM it takes over 30' of 1/2" tubing to equal an Apogee in pressure-drop. Of course, we are talking minute numbers here so you may be right, if we could even find good enough equipment to measure any difference at all. ;)

Personally I think 2x quad rads are waaay overkill but ... :shrug:

QuietIce, my point was that for a very small rise in GPU temps, he could pick a route that's easier to bleed. I'm not sure where things will go in this case, but the original route sounded like it might have a lot of ups and downs to trap air. For instance, if you mount the pumps at the bottom to help with cavitation, which also affects performance, and you put something else between them, that's another spot that will trap air.

It's a matter of personal preference, but I like to change my coolant every so often, and so I like to make that easy to do.

I'll admit I've built very few loops so far (I think I'm up to 6 now, which still makes me a noob compared to some of you guys) but it's odd - I've never had a problem bleeding any of the loops. All have used 1/2" tubing w/a 1/2x1/2x3/4" T-line. The pump(s) is always in the bottom of the case (or level with it), though not always lower than everything else since the rads in my first loop are essentially on the floor and 5' away from the rig. Another loop has a top-mounted rad. The latest loop even included parallel flow meters with a valved, straight line between them and I've still had no problems with trapped air, though I admit I had to pinch a couple of lines to get that thing to bleed (parallel 3/4" tubing can be a problem w/a low-flow pump). :-/

Anyway, I've either had great luck or (?) and because of this I never consider issues with bleeding. I'll have to take your word for it that the loop would bleed easier if the rads are together ...

QuietIce said:
Anyway, I've either had great luck or (?) and because of this I never consider issues with bleeding. I'll have to take your word for it that the loop would bleed easier if the rads are together ...
It might or it might not. It all depends on where those rads are mounted. Bleeding isn't that big a deal, but I figure if my car's cooling system doesn't need to be flipped upside down to get the air out, my computer's shouldn't either. :)

Back