• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

So, my friend wants another one of these, so I figured I would help him out.

The 7900GTOs were on Newegg for about 2 weeks. Is there anywhere else that still sells them? Or if someone is selling theirs (and has at least 100 posts), PM me.

Decided to put here because said friend would rather buy from a shop, but he will buy one however he can get one.

Yep, I've tried flashing my GTO to a GTX, but it isn't working, mainly because I dont have a floppy drive :S

Search for "7900gto thread" in this forum, and you'll find about 5 pages of info ;)

Raptord said:
Yep, I've tried flashing my GTO to a GTX, but it isn't working, mainly because I dont have a floppy drive :S

Search for "7900gto thread" in this forum, and you'll find about 5 pages of info ;)

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the bootable DR. DOS CD image. Burn that to a CD-R and then add the files you need for flashing the card. There are weird instructions to add the files to the ISO but I didn't have to do this. I just added the files to the bootable CD after I burned the ISO image. It boots as an A: drive even though it's a CD-R. Your files for flashing the BIOS will be on the R: drive.

I just did this last night. Works like a charm! ;)

Already tried that, but it doesn't work because the files become read-only after I burn them. Is that because I'm using a CD-RW?

I used a CD-R (which is is pretty much read only in this scenario). Why does it matter that they are read only?

I'm not sure, but it says it can't access the file or something like that when i run nvflash. If you still have your cd, could you check if the rom files are read only?

Raptord said:
I'm not sure, but it says it can't access the file or something like that when i run nvflash. If you still have your cd, could you check if the rom files are read only?

Because it's on a CD-R it is definitely read-only. I don't think a CD-RW would help either since we are talking about DOS here.

I am not sure how to help you buddy. :-/

Anyone else?

I'll try it again sometime soon and send you the error i get, probably via PM, to see if you can help, since you've flashed yours recently using the same method I'm using.

I'm interested to know if the GTO's have the same pipelines as the GTX. Anybody know?

the GTO has the same pipelines as the GTX, just slower.

Anyone know what a decent price to a buy 7900GTO would be? A got a friend that wants to sell one, and i might buy it. I'm not too keen on getting another dx9 card though. Personally, i'm thinking no more than about $180-200 CAN for a used one...

I sold my GTO a while back on ebay. It's exactly the same as the GTX except in mid production they changed away from the samsung ram because it didnt clock as well. The samsung cards became GTO's making them a somewhat limited edition. Even some of the GTO boxes said GTX with a GTO sticker over the GTX. I didnt have a floppy, but you can use a flash drive as a floppy I believe.

Back