• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob q's about WOW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOThelagak

im bored, and with everyone ranting about WOW i decided to get the demo and try it out. it is getting the update now, i have a couple questions. i was thinking about being a hunter class. i always liked the ranger class in d&d and it seems similar, but i faintly remember someone saying that hunters are over populated in wow. is that true, and what are some of you experianced players suggestions for a starter class?

thats all, thanks.

Hunter is very easy to level and it's a good class to learn on. Easy classes I would recommend learning on:

Rogue
Hunter
Mage

These classes are single role classes in groups, do DPS. You may be asked to crowd control on them, however gameplay is very simple and very easy to pick up.

Normal Difficulty classes :)

Warrior
Priest
Warlock

Warlock can be tricky to play because of the fear management, plus you are VERY vulnerable to pvp until you get death coil at level 42.
Both warrior and priest have 2 roles, the warrior can tank, and dps. You'll have to learn how to itemize yourself for both of these roles, and you'll have to learn the threat producing abilities as well as the defensive moves. The priest can heal and dps, it's important to spec (shorthand for specialize) appropriately so that you can do both well.

Classes to stay away from until you're more experienced

Druid
Paladin
Shaman

These classes are the triple hybrids, they can dps as a caster, as a melee, and also heal. You will need to learn a lot about the game and about items and attributes before you can play these classes to their fullest extent. (They're not bad classes, triple hybrids are my favorites to play)

Last edited:
If you want to completely dominate roll a Warlock. They are uber overpowered and all kinds of fun. I have a 70 hunter as well and its fun but once I started my lock I never looked back.

Hunter is the easiest and get owned pretty fast in bg. There fun to play I guess. I am a Undead Warlock, by far my fav. Mage's are fun also. Don't be a hunter though not very good...

Roll means create, yes. Warlocks are incredibly powerful at level 70, however their play-style is not intuitive when you first start out.

There is nothing wrong with the hunter class, they are required in end game raiding as well as very useful at group pvp later on. Nothing is more infuriating than walking into a stupid frost trap while you're carrying the flag and having his team mates rag on you while you walk at a snails' pace. Beastial wrath hunters are so hard to beat in the arena because they are immune to stuns/fears/death coils/crowd controls.

So why do people say roll instead of make or create? All it does is confuse me, and thats not good for the world. I effect global warming with my confusion. My body lets off strage gases when confused.

Roll.. Means like roll a dice in D&D.. but you roll a new character on WoW. but yeah.. My first character on WoW was the druid!!! Druids are fun to play with, but if you do not have patients then do not play one.

Warlocks FTW. I've played one in retail to level 70 and on several private servers. Warlocks are the single powerful solo class in the game. Be a warlock if you want to be powerful and solo.

I've got a 70 druid and i can agree with above... stay away until you have some experience under your belt.

Mages r fun, locks rule. if you just want to bash stuff then roll a warrior.

I have to start over and by the posts in this thread Im thinking of trying a warlock. Ive been a Warrior before... it was pretty fun. Although when I played that char I was playing private beta.... so that was quite some time ago.

"Roll" comes from the old pen/paper/dice/tabletop/rule-book/lots-of-imagination-required type of RPG's. Most of those games, such as D&D, had an involved character creation process that required rolling dice to determine starting stats. Since people generally want a powerful character, "rolling" became the predominant aspect of the whole thing and people would generally bend the intention of the rules a bit and roll as many times as they needed to in order to get the sort of results that they wanted. :D

WoW has a much simpler character creation process, but it's still the same type of game and process at heart. So, the term carried over to it and many other MMORPG's. Although, in WoW there's not a single bit of rolling or randomness involved in any part of it. Stats are all predefined according to race and class selection.

Hunter is a good class to start out with. They were rather powerful recently, but have been hit with the nerf bat a few times. Still a solid class, though. They are very capable for handling PvE enemies and such thanks to having pets to manage aggro, strong ranged attacks, good survivability with mail armor at later levels, and more. And, they are very capable in PvP thanks to a pretty deep bag of tricks. They do very well in Battlegrounds (a form of PvP), but are the least successful class in Arena according to some recent statistics...I suspect that it's largely because the arena is too confined for them to be effective. Hunters, Warlocks, and Paladins are probably the most capable solo classes.

Rogue is another good class to start out with. Stealth abilities provide alternatives to many situations that might otherwise be difficult or time consuming. They make things die quickly, have good escapability, create advantageous situations in PvP and avoid disadvantageous ones....pretty fun all around. If you want to be a griefer on a PvP server, this is THE class.....

I would rank Mage a notch up in complexity...they are playable with a beginner but will probably get killed a number of times learning their limitations and how to utilize their capabilities. There can be a lot of advanced play in using them.

As complex as Paladins can be and have a tricky time filling roles in 5-man groups and raids, they can be extremely fault tolerant for a beginner. Being a melee class in mail and later plate armor, capable of healing themselves AND throw up invulnerability bubbles...a person can do a LOT wrong and still survive and win. They are extremely powerful in PvP and are all the most successful and utilized class in Arena.

The basics of Warriors are very simple and easy, but they are also very nuanced for advanced play. Lots of limitations place a heavy emphasis on efficient, flawless play and their roles in 5-man groups and raids as main tank is normally the most difficult and high pressure job in the group. Generally...they start out being fairly good for beginners but can quickly get very frustrating at middle levels and beyond.

Warlock isn't bad to start, but won't shine until learning the game pretty well.

Stay away from Shamans and Druids until later...I started my first character as a Druid and ended up shelving it...as a more advanced player I love the class again and go back to working on the player off and on. Shamans are even trickier.

Priest is pretty easy to start out with IF you have someone to play with all the time that can manage aggro and do the bulk of the killing. Playing a priest by yourself becomes rather challenging in a hurry much past level 20. Put a Priest and a Warrior together and they look at each other with big doe eyes and say, "Where have you been my whole life?" :D

Last edited:
As always john g writes an essay that always tops mine 3 times in length :)

I agree with what he said, hunters are a great class to learn that game on

UnrealAlex said:
Every class except priests and warriors are overpopulated xD
Very true, priests are really important in groups, I was one. There were few of them on the server so I got to be with the good, non-bitchy groups, and as a result had a lot of fun and got good loot. However I don't recommend being one as your first char...I did, and it was really had getting past 20. Once you hit that, though, it's smooth sailing. But we get nerfed every once in a while :-/

I've been playing since beta as a Druid & finally started playing my lock I had created shortly after launch & I love Druids & I know also love Locks.lol

I like to think I'm pretty well experienced with playing druids since as I said above I have played once since before retail launch & they are much different then they where back then, for the better. I have also played 2 Druids, I have both a Feral (Melee/Tank) & Balance (Caster) Druid. Each have their pros & cons but both are very fun to play.

While everyone is saying to stay away from the hybrids in WoW I honestly say if you can master one as your first class you will do awesome when you start a core class.

Everyone is correct in Saying the Hybrids...especially druids are more difficult to play & it's b/c of their tri-roll duties. But come on changing forms is the bomb & getting flight form at 68 is awesome...

If you decide to try a druid out just hang in there & once you hit 20 & get cat form things really start getting interesting from there. But to start you will want to roll as feral till at least lvl 55-56 after that you can switch to balance or restoration. Restoration will be a total PITA to lvl unless you are in groups all the time as they as the healers & basically do very little damage. Balance or comonly referred to as Boomkin or Oomkin (Boomkin b/c they pack a nice punch, or Oomkin b/c if you aren't a skilled player you'll find yourself Out of Mana). With Feral (skill & good gear) you'll be able to solo a lot of what other classes can not. I was able to solo group quests with my feral I couldn't with my Lock & Balance druid.

Should you choose a druid make up your mind on what spec you are going to go at 61-70 b/c you'll get nice reward gear along the way some of which will last you a long time depending on if you get into raiding or not and switching spec's in the middle of lvl'ing will really gimp you as you won't have the gear for the roll yet & then trying to get it will be a pain. This will hold true for any of the hybrids though. On another note healing gear is something you'll want to also collect along the way but don't pick a peice of healing gear over another peice that fits your spec better as far as rewards go.

As for other classes I honestly wouldn't roll a Hunter b/c they are way over populated on every server & that is one class no one is ever short. As mentioned early Healers & Tanks are something that is seriously lacking. But playing a healer or tank is a lot of responsibility as you have the entire group in your hands and if you screw up they are toast. I think a rogue or mage would be a good class to roll if you don't want to give the hybrids a go.

One last tip...create a few characters now with names you want, if you're on a old server most likely they are gone already if not best to save them. :) That what I did at launch, I created 10 characters to save names I like to use...I have the monopoly on my server for every variation of Wolverine...lol

I can honestly say, the shaman is the most interesting of all the classes. We are missing have the stuff of any normal class (Crowd Control, breaking ourselves out of crowd control, various other things such as that) But, we are also very naunced and capable in situations. That and the classic WTFPWN Windfury makes anyones day :D

But as a first class? I wouldnt reccomend it.

I would stand by rogue, and say that it is, agreeing with the above mentioned reasons :D

shard said:
I can honestly say, the shaman is the most interesting of all the classes. We are missing have the stuff of any normal class (Crowd Control, breaking ourselves out of crowd control, various other things such as that) But, we are also very naunced and capable in situations. That and the classic WTFPWN Windfury makes anyones day :D

But as a first class? I wouldnt reccomend it.

I would stand by rogue, and say that it is, agreeing with the above mentioned reasons :D

Agree. I started with a shaman and all the way up to the end never had a class replace it as the main. Totems were so much fun to manage, along with dps and healing and then radically switching play styles by respecing. Lots of fun

Back