• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS4 help for newbie!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

daveyq1

I have the following setup:

E6750 core2duo
Sapphire X1950pro 256mb
250gb Samsung Spin Point SATAII
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400
Creative labs x-Fi extreme music
Seasonic 430W PSU
Floppy drive
Pioneer DVD-RW

This is a new build (mobo, cpu & memory are new). I have reinstalled Vista Ulitmate x64, flashed the mobo to the latest version and left the bios at default settings (not optimal).

My problem is the pc does not boot first time after being left powered off for a long period of time e.g. when I'm at work or asleep! The power light comes on for a second then the machine 'dies' but then comes back to life, this is repeated 3-4 times before it POSTs then boots into Windows fine.
I have contacted Gigabyte support who, recommended an RMA, I don't want to send it back if it's something I'm doing wrong!
BTW I have tried the mobo out the case and with only the minimum parts with the same effect also the CPU is running at 35C in BIOS!:bang head

Could this be the PSU, it is 3 years old or even the speaker/power switch plugged in the wrong way?:confused:

Please help!

Last edited:
It sounds like the system is stressing the PSU too much on startup. Go get a new one quickly.

I dunno how much this would help, but you can stop the hard drives from spinning as soon as the system is turned on to reduce the power load.

daveyq1 said:
I have the following setup:

E6750 core2duo
Sapphire X1950pro 256mb
250gb Samsung Spin Point SATAII
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400
Creative labs x-Fi extreme music
Seasonic 430W PSU
Floppy drive
Pioneer DVD-RW

This is a new build (mobo, cpu & memory are new). I have reinstalled Vista Ulitmate x64, flashed the mobo to the latest version and left the bios at default settings (not optimal).

My problem is the pc does not boot first time after being left powered off for a long period of time e.g. when I'm at work or asleep! The power light comes on for a second then the machine 'dies' but then comes back to life, this is repeated 3-4 times before it POSTs then boots into Windows fine.
I have contacted Gigabyte support who, recommended an RMA, I don't want to send it back if it's something I'm doing wrong!
BTW I have tried the mobo out the case and with only the minimum parts with the same effect also the CPU is running at 35C in BIOS!:bang head

Could this be the PSU, it is 3 years old or even the speaker/power switch plugged in the wrong way?:confused:

Please help!

hi'
I had exactly the same problem, so I rma this mobo and took a gigabyte P35 DQ6 instead and a new psu, seasonic M12 700w.
I had a 500w inside already(seasonic too), not enough !!

i686

Even though 430w is bit low for your rig, it's definitely NOT a PSU problem.

It's a known bug, not only DS4 related models suffer from. I'm too lazy to RMA mine, and the new DS4 rev1.2 has a different pipecooling.

Terryb47 said:

It's a known bug, not only DS4 related models suffer from. I'm too lazy to RMA mine, and the new DS4 rev1.2 has a different pipecooling.

hi'
could you tell which known bug is it?
I just suspected the psu as any techy would have done after changing psu for a test ... no boot, not even a single signal of poxer on, except that usb stuff reacted once the power on ...

once I reset my "old" p5b dlx", everything was back in order ;)

I plan to mount this new board on tuesday, >I'll tell you ;)

btw, gigabyte say that you can take of the top fin of the NB cooler, and also what they call "crasy cool" back plate.

i686

Terryb47 said:

Thanks for all the replies

So is it the pipecooling that causes the problem, or do you think it will be fixed eventually with a new BIOS?

He's not saying it's the pipe-cooling, but that the new revision of the board happens to have new pipe-cooling. The new revision is also supposed to fix this issue you're having.

I really don't know this for sure, but I'm just clarifying what Terry is trying to say.

I'd say call Gigabyte, and explain it to them. If it's a known issue w/ the board, they may do a x-ship for you and you'll get a new board. That's what I'd do anyway.

Gigabyte will tell you to RMA the board when you ask them.

Now my situation is different, i ordered from this shop I vowed never to do business with, ever again.
They even charge you for shippingcosts when they ship back a replacement, cheap bastards.

Either way, it's not just the DS4, but the DQ6 have been reported to do the coldboot on-off-on tango. Some people blame incompatibility with ram...but I doubt it.

it's still a mystery why/how they removed the HUGE silentpipe cooler in the rev1.2, but I think they've replaced it with a more simple (with less fins) pipecooling on the NB because of the lack of space (too many people complaining that their big typhoontowerthingies, whatever you call them, don't fit with the old silentpipe design, which is a shame because that's one of the main reasons to get a DS4/DQ6: the nearly overexaggerated silentpipe cooling. now if you're going all out for watercooling (CPU/NB/SB), you should just go with the cheaper DS3 models without all the silentpipes and save some money.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated :beer:

Okay, I contacted the shop where I bought the mobo from (Overclockers) who provided an RMA.
Will be shipping it back after the weekend.
Shall I risk a direct replacement or can anyone recommend another mobo?

Is this a bug after all ?
I will probably buy a p35-ds4 this week.

I read many different opinions about this.

My friends abit ip35 pro and my teachers asus have the bug/feature.

A few links about it:
"The ugly being the fact that it has an issue with a double reboot on each restart. The issue is not exclusive to this chipset as the Intel 965 boards had the same issues. After speaking with Abit, the issue is known and is being looked into. A BIOS update is being looked to for a solution."
(from http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ip35economy/18.htm)

"The system boots for less than 1 second beeps once and turns off. No Post.
Then after about 2 seconds it tries to start again, and again same thing 1 beep, then off. "
From ASUS forums.

At first everyone thought it was their PSU fault.
The link in the overclockersclub says that 965 had this too and it can be
fixed with bios update, but when my teacher posted in the asus forums
an asus person there told him that all p35 has this feature and it does this
when you change something in the bios to test for stability (that is why
it does the 2-3 reboots)

So, until now this exists in:
Abit IP35-E (from overclockersclub)
Abit IP35 Pro (my friends)
Several ASUS (from the asus forums)
Several Gigabyte (from here and other forums)
MSI P35 Platinum (from the greek insomnia forum)

I am a bit curious why gigabyte would suggest to rma the board, but it can't
be a bug since pretty much all the "good" motherboards have this.

IMO it's a bug, because not all DS4 suffer from it. the first time I ever booted the settings were at default: I remember clearly that my system went on-off-on, and has done so ever since.

others blame the Intel chipset I know, but hey even so it's still a bug ;p it's definitely not normal.

Okay have just posted it back to Overclockers UK, I made sure I told them what components I've been using as they will probably test it using different ones and not find a problem :rolleyes:

Will let you know how I get on

GA P35DQ6 ... same ;)

hi'
after rma my p35ds4 for an obvious failure, I chaned for a DQ6.
so far it's very fast and fine, shutdown in less than 20s ;)
boot in less than 40sec hands on ready to work.

I OC this E6600 up to 3.6ghz, ram running at 800mgz (2x400)
in the BIOS it's a bit strange, no way to set the clock and voltage without red warning ...

so, basicaly set it at fsb 340 for a 3.06ghz for summer heat ;)
ram at 1:1, but far from specs :( 5.5.5.16 where it should be
4.4.4.12 :( at around 1.90v) ...
same for all voltage it's a mutiplier,or an increaser +0.05v etc ...

it's disturbing :(

anyone had a BIOS fight to get what he wanted?
a style of stable and descent OC ;)

until outdoor temps low down, I'll keep it this way, but expecting a stable OC when falls'll arrive ;)

and also, a new feature CIA2, supposed to manage cpu power depending on use, I disabled it.

i686

Update:
Ovelcockers UK have confirmed it's faulty, another has been shipped, should get this by close of business tomorrow, fingers crossed!!!

Well installed replacement last night, booted first time without changing BIOS settings.
Loaded optimised BIOS settings and booted first time.
Left over night and booted first time this morning!!
Looking good:beer:

Will try overclcocking after the weekend.

Back