• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Venice 3500+ OC issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Linux_Box

Exact details of my rig in my sig: Basically a Venice 3500+ on an Asrock DualSataII BIOS 2.3.

I have my rig stable at 239x11 = 2629 with memory at 1:1 (240mhz) using 1.4v. I've thoroughly tested this for several months with gaming.

I can run 251x11 with memory at 166 (199mhz) with ~1.52v. If I can get A64tweaker to work for me, I can get memory 183 (gets memory to 229)... more on this in a bit.

I have done the CPU volt mod so I have extra voltage available but it doesn't seem to help much.

In my OC testing, here are the numbers I've gotten:

Max HTT 315
Max OC 2761
Max memory 240

OK, here's the odd parts:
I cannot run 9x290 (2611mhz) nor can I get anywhere close with 10x275 or 10x270. They fail memtest. It seems I can only get a high OC stable using 11 multiplier. Even if I lower the memory settings to 166 or 133, they fail memtest or SuperPi. That makes no sense to me since I'm not stressing the memory, I'm way below my max OC for the CPU and I'm below my max HTT as well. There's something going on that I'm not catching.

Questions:
What should I try next?

Do I need to change Max Async Latency and/or Read Preamble as I raise the HTT? I saw a couple of people mention it but I can't find out if it's needed or not.

A64Tweaker sometimes let me set 183 memory within windows and other times not. Any ideas?

I suppose I should be happy with my stable 2629 but I think I can get more out of it. I have an OCZ DDR booster as well but I don't seem to need it based on my testing thus far.

I don't know man. I think Venice's just top out at 2.64, some of them anyway. Mine does and I know a few other people that this has happened to.

You have probably reached the limit. But for the sake or trying what are your temps? Have you tried lapping your CPU and heatsink? That gives significant improvements, It dropped mine 8 degrees.

OH. Are you dropping your HT link? It is set to 5 to keep it at 1000. Drop it to 4 or even 3 if you are running near 300 fsb.

Back