• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd problem with my service....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Looks like Frontier just upgraded everyone locally to 3.7Mbs down and ~400K up (supposed to be 386k but about 446k is a lot better than the 128 we used to have). WOOT!

I'm getting the full ~400k up - no problem. It's the downloads that are freaky. It shows i'm connected at a full 3.7Mbs. Yet my actual throughput is SLOWER than it used to be when we were at 1Mbs. I've tried everything from turning off firewalls to registry tweaks (which I know are suspect anyways), and nothing has improved my download speed that it says should be there.

Are there any suggestions as to how to actually be able to use the full bandwidth that I now have? The only programs it seems I have that are working with the full bandwidth properly are p2p/torrent (decided to give it a go at downloading sabayon through various services to see how fast I could potentially get it). My browser based speeds/downloads however seem to be gimped.

Any help?

**Edit**

same gimping problems with IE, Firefox, Opera..... but everything else seems to be running full speed.

What are you using to test you "limited" speed, it might be on the server's end. Try an addon like "Down them all" for firefox.

Is there a router involved? If so try direct connecting to the modem.Congrats on the upgrade Frank! Hopefully we can get this sorted out.

port 80 throttling? Don't think so.... my brothers have the same service and they get the full bandwidth even in their browsers. So i know it's a software setting somewhere.

Have tried add-ons like DAP and 'down them all' and such. Same problems. Seems anything browser-based is gimped.

It's a combo modem/wireless router from my ISP. I've crawled over the settings and have seen nothing I could do in it.

Frontier may be throttling downloads or throttling certain types of downloads.

Comcast is doing it and many ISP's are as well.

Frontier doesn't throttle. I've asked them before about it. They say that customers have unlimited bandwidth usage per month as long as they don't run a server.

Back