• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Celeron 2.4 Vs K6 Vs P3 Vs Cel 400Mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
I want to build a gentoo file/web/shell/ftp/sshtunnel server. However, I also want to use the least amount of watts with minimum quietness. But I also don't want the server to be too weak.
My choices are...
P3 1.13GHz, 30Watts, but a big inefficient loud crappy Compaq PSU.
K6 300 Mhz socket 7, but I am not sure if it can handle it all.
Celeron 400 Mhz, motherboard eats like no watt but the keyboard needs an adapter.
Intel P2, in a socket 5. Don't think it can handle anything.

Now, the best solution I can see. Celeron s478, 2.4GHz. It eats 60W. But it runs whisper quiet on a 200W PSU. sspec
The only problem is that BIOS has no temp measuring. Which means that in order to find the temp I would have to install OS first, and then use Intel finder to find the sensor to find the temperature to find out if I can run passive.

Which one should I use?

The only problem is that BIOS has no temp measuring. Which means that in order to find the temp I would have to install OS first, and then use Intel finder to find the sensor to find the temperature to find out if I can run passive.

Which one should I use?

I wouldn't care so much about the temp reading. Chances are it is wrong anyways. If it runs stable passively, then you are good to go. If it gets too hot, it will throttle anyways.

The P3 at 1.13ghz should be enough, but personally if you aren't doing anything better with that 2.4ghz celly, i'd just use that instead. I'm sure you can find a tower heatsink and just use one 120mm exhaust fan.

I wouldn't care so much about the temp reading. Chances are it is wrong anyways. If it runs stable passively, then you are good to go. If it gets too hot, it will throttle anyways.

I am just afraid of it dying on me like that K7 did :/

The P3 at 1.13ghz should be enough, but personally if you aren't doing anything better with that 2.4ghz celly, i'd just use that instead. I'm sure you can find a tower heatsink and just use one 120mm exhaust fan.
The only tower heatsink I have is in my main PC. Will it be enough if I have a copper heatsink like this? P4 Spark 5+, 82x65x35.5 mm, .29 C/W.
Will it be enough if I take a 120mm fan and use a resistor to go down to 2.5V?
From overclockers.ru
Spark5Side.jpg

File servers require virtually no power. Same with ftp. The only thing there that concerns me is the webserver. That could require some processing power, but it really depends on the traffic levels and the type of content you are serving. For example, if it's straight html, the slower pc's might do fine, but if you are doing a lot of php (server side scripting), then you might want some more processing power, especially if you have a lot of traffic.

File servers require virtually no power. Same with ftp. The only thing there that concerns me is the webserver. That could require some processing power, but it really depends on the traffic levels and the type of content you are serving. For example, if it's straight html, the slower pc's might do fine, but if you are doing a lot of php (server side scripting), then you might want some more processing power, especially if you have a lot of traffic.

exactly. Usually, generally speaking, for home servers it is more important to have ram, but having a faster cpu will always help.

I've seen almost unnoticeable improvement moving my file server from a k62 333 to an athlon tbird 1 ghz, sdram to ddr sdram. It just didn't really do anything noticeable. The machine itself is faster, but who cares... I guess it can finish folding wu's before expiration now.

"eats more power" ???

What do you mean? Are you worried about energy costs? And if so, why should one motherboard use more power with the same cpu and peripherals?

"eats more power" ???

What do you mean? Are you worried about energy costs? And if so, why should one motherboard use more power with the same cpu and peripherals?

I just have this small trusty D845GRG that is small form, and huuuuuuge D875PBZLK.

D845 has a smallish nortbridhe heatsink and nothing gets hot.
D875PBZLK has a HUGE nortnridge heatsink and it gets so hot. But it supports FSB800.

Won't it use up more power just because it got 3 more PCI slots, 2 more DDR slots, a huge HS for northbridge?

How big of a difference will I see with going to 1.2GBs from 768MBs?

I don't think you can make the conclusion that it will use more power, and I don't think that it will use much more even it uses a bit more. You can measure these things (buy a kill-a-watt meter from newegg for 20 bucks if you really want to know, they're kind of nice to have and measure the electrical usage of anything).

The vast majority of the power used is used by the cpu anyways, so I doubt it will matter much. I don't think you can draw any conclusions from what you've written.

Back