• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it me or what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapper Dan

i was just wondering when AMD's Barcelona will come out seeing how it was supposed to a while ago..... and now that clovertown is out for servers and soon for home pc's ..... will it even be worth buying?

Doesn't it all depend on the price ?

Sure a C2D is faster and ocs like crazy but do we really need that speed ?
I think most of us don't.
K8 still delivers good performance at the right price and K10 will do the same.
I do not expect it to retake the performance crown neither to change anything significantly soon but when we will really need quads it will be there, and probably so will nehalem.

well i video edit and do some visual effects so basically i need all the power i can get... i was hopin barcelona to be a little more powerful than intel quads but if intel already has launch dates for penryn and the "true quads" then there is no point in me buying a barcelona ... maybe if it was release earlier/ on time i would have but seems to me that AMD has all but thrown in the towel...

It's faster, better, oc's like crazy, cheaper and runs cooler..

no, no, no.....I'll take the POS thats more expensive, can't oc worth a F@$k, run hot and cost a but load of money.

It will be a sad day for everyone if AMD goes under. Then Intel will do what ever they want.

well i video edit and do some visual effects so basically i need all the power i can get... i was hopin barcelona to be a little more powerful than intel quads but if intel already has launch dates for penryn and the "true quads" then there is no point in me buying a barcelona ... maybe if it was release earlier/ on time i would have but seems to me that AMD has all but thrown in the towel...

Well it's really straightforward then, SSE4 all the way.
Check the boost it gives matters more for video than anything else.
What you need is a quad penryn, I would wait till January for the cheaper ones and get a new mobo those should be out by the time.

Well it's really straightforward then, SSE4 all the way.
Check the boost it gives matters more for video than anything else.
What you need is a quad penryn, I would wait till January for the cheaper ones and get a new mobo those should be out by the time.

well it's either get a Q66 now.... and skip penryn wait till yorksfield.... or deal with my e6300 for now and jump on a penryn in Q1

If video editing is a priority, go with whatever will get you SSE4 the fastest. That means stick it out with the e6300 and grab a Penryn in January. Or grab a quad now with the intention of selling it in January.

well it's either get a Q66 now.... and skip penryn wait till yorksfield.... or deal with my e6300 for now and jump on a penryn in Q1
Yorkfield is supposed to be out next month (Nov 12th) - but only the extreme edition so it'll be $$$.

I'd sit on the E6300 and see how the Q9450s do in Jan.

I'm going to wait - hopefully there will be a stepping that allows the FSB to be pushed past the ~475 limit that the quads seem to have (including the engineering sample Yorkfields). Maybe the X48 chipset will help. The folks over at Xtremesys are getting ~4.5ghz on air out of the Yorkfields, so if you can only hit 475FSB on a 8x multiplier chip you're going to be FSB limited to 3.8ghz. I'd be happy with 8x 500FSB = 4ghz and I'm going to wait until that's all but guaranteed.

Back