• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Old rigs, 2 new problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazaro

So I'm getting two rigs set up to sell, and I was reinstalling windows (Man they blaze now :eek:)

First rig, looks nice, but it has this wonderful problem of when I want to shut it down it reboots!

Start, Shut down, windows turns off, and then instantly boots back up again.
Holding the power button results in the same thing.

Yesterday it actually did shut down once, but it's back to doing the same thing today.

The other rig got an install as well and it's displaying 4bit color at 640 resolution. There aren't any options available in the settings to change it past that. Only 640 and 4 bit options.

Any ideas? I wanna get these sold soon, save up some money for all the nice hardware coming out!

Rig1
are the reset/power buttons switched?
Rig2
what are the internals? MOBO, graphics, etc.

1: No, even shutting off from start shut down, and power button it doesn't shut it down.

2: It's a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz B0 steeping, Dell mobo, integrated graphics.

Rig 1:
Doesn't windows do this when the bios isn't completely acpi compatible or somthing? Try making sure that APM is enabled in the power properties, there should be an option in the bios under 'PNP config' or such like to tel the bios there is a PNP OS installed, that way the bios will be talking to the OS:)
Rig 2:
Try finding out what grpahics chip it uses and installing the drivers, I've had this happen with a couple of old laptops where I reinstalled them but forgot to write down the grahics chip before formatting the HD:sn:

Rig 1:
Doesn't windows do this when the bios isn't completely acpi compatible or somthing? Try making sure that APM is enabled in the power properties, there should be an option in the bios under 'PNP config' or such like to tel the bios there is a PNP OS installed, that way the bios will be talking to the OS:)
Rig 2:
Try finding out what grpahics chip it uses and installing the drivers, I've had this happen with a couple of old laptops where I reinstalled them but forgot to write down the grahics chip before formatting the HD:sn:

This seems most plausible.

For Rig 1 I want to clarify that when I hit shutdown in windows it still restarts. So It's probably not a turn around thing.

I'll check and install the graphics drivers for the other rig now.

p.s. The ethernet adapter isn't working as well. I installed the drivers for it, but no go... (Maybe I'm doing it wrong)
I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with this:bang head

I got this off the chip... Intel FW82801DB (SL66K) Malay '01.

Still looking, the (WGA) Compatible driver is not installed, so it looks like that is the problem.

(Rig 2) The Dell website had the most painless driver search ever, now I have to hope it works.

Compaq (Rig 1) doesn't even have drivers for the motherboard Compaq Presario 6000 motherboard 6553 (NOT 6533). :mad:
I tried using the 6000 drivers, but it didn't do anything. Still has reboot problem.

***Dell seems to be working great now. :)
****Soundmax installed Compaq missing

-Ethernet Controller
-SM Bus Controller

Micro Star 6553 board
nForce 220 NB
nVidia MCP SB

This is one obscure motherboard...

Last edited:
Back