• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Website with IIS7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
Does anyone know how to go about setting up a website using IIS7. I'm running Vista Home Premium and have IIS7 install with my sites html in the default location. I can get it to pop up if I do http://localhost but when I do my domain URL I get nothing not even an error. So far I have been searching for days and have had no luck finding any info how to get this to work.

If you brows to your Public ip what do you get?

by "my domain URL"

do you mean www.mysite.com or

My-intra net.html
???

If this is Intra net not Internet

1. Do you have your DNS correct?
2. Dose the site listen on the IP of the machine or just 127.0.0.1?????

If Internet ::

I sport forwarding correct?
Have you flashed your router to the correct/current biso(edit:: apart from Mis spelling BIOS i shpuld have said Firmware)? (My old netgear forwarded html (port80) to its self at first! there was a flash to fix that.)

Does your site respond oin the correct port?

Do you have anonymous access enabled?

Last edited:
By domain I mean mysite.com My router is set up for the site with the right port enabled. Running latest BIOS for the router. My site responds to nothing cept when I do htt://localhost. if I type in mysite.com I get a google search result back.

If you do HTTP://MY_PUBLIC_IP
what do you get if anything?

Have you verified that IIS is listening on the machines IP? if you browse to the Machines private (lan) IP from another do you see the site?

Do you have dynamic DNS on the router?

start --> run (vista/xp start(windows key)+R) --> *cmd* "OK"

If you do NSlookup mysite.com what is the result? Edit: I don't literally mean mysite obviously I mean substitute yours;)

If you do Tracert mysite.com what is the result?

This could be a permissions problem if you get any errors like 40X/50X-X etc

Last edited:
If you do HTTP://MY_PUBLIC_IP
what do you get if anything?

Have you verified that IIS is listening on the machines IP? if you browse to the Machines private (lan) IP from another do you see the site?

Do you have dynamic DNS on the router?

start --> run (vista/xp start(windows key)+R) --> *cmd* "OK"

If you do NSlookup mysite.com what is the result? Edit: I don't literally mean mysite obviously I mean substitute yours;)

If you do Tracert mysite.com what is the result?

This could be a permissions problem if you get any errors like 40X/50X-X etc

My router is a Dlink DGL-4300 which has dynamic DNS. When doing a NSlookup it comes back with my IP address. Tracert gives me a page not found error.

Edit by doing htt://my public ip I get
This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

Last edited:
One thing you may have to check go to grc.com and scan port 80 it may be blocked!

Normally tracert should produce an out-put like this.
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Z:\>tracert txs1.ath.cx

Tracing route to txs1.ath.cx [88.110.46.248]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  cerbrus.not.public.on.line [192.168.1.1]
  2     3 ms     1 ms     1 ms  88-110-46-248.dynamic.dsl.as9105.com [88.110.46.
248]

Trace complete.

Z:\>

For the Page Not Found

Start The IIS mmc snap in and please expand local computer and web sites

Locate your site (you may be using default web site.)

right click the website on the left and select properties at the bottom of the page.

Confirm the website tab has an ip setting not equal to 127.0.0.1*OK*

Chose the directory security tab
Find the authentication and control section
Click edit
ensure enable anonymous access is selected. *OK*

Select home directory tab
ensue read is enabled. (should be from what you have said.)
*OK*

Now right click the website again on the left and select permissions
You may have to add the IIS worker process or the IIS user process. on 2k3 these are IIS_WPG and IUSR_Machine-name I believe it may be the IUSR account. you should enable reed only.

By domain I mean mysite.com My router is set up for the site with the right port enabled. Running latest BIOS for the router. My site responds to nothing cept when I do htt://localhost. if I type in mysite.com I get a google search result back.

If http://localhost is working the site is also working, the problem is more likely name resolution or possibly NAT accross you're router. Can you ping the domain name successfully? That indicates working name resolution and should also resolve your public IP. If you don't have a static IP you will need some kind of dynamic DNS capability.

who are you hosting with and who did you set the domain redirect with, some sits, like negwork solutions say upto 36 hours for a domain to redirect to a new URL

If http://localhost is working the site is also working, the problem is more likely name resolution or possibly NAT accross you're router. Can you ping the domain name successfully? That indicates working name resolution and should also resolve your public IP. If you don't have a static IP you will need some kind of dynamic DNS capability.

Just tried and yes I can ping my site.

Mr.Guvernment said:
who are you hosting with and who did you set the domain redirect with, some sits, like negwork solutions say upto 36 hours for a domain to redirect to a new
Right now I'm using NO-IP

see -->
help.jpg
Its server 2003 though.

If he can tracert the site and ping it/nslookup it then its not DNS

Have you tryed to see if port 80 is open on GRC??

Have you checked that the anonymous user has read access to the site in permissions?

Last edited:
AH OK its ether the windows firewall or the ISP is blocking port 80

The bindings are how you edit/check the port is 80 and the listen ip not 127.0.0.1

The anonymous user settings will be in the advanced options.

However it is port 80 that is your problem.

open the network and sharing center-->

on the left at bottom is firewall.-->

on new window click allow a program through the firewall (thats on the left again)-->

click add port -->

you want a TCP port 80 (yeah that is how you suck eggs;) ) and in "Change scope"you want to ensure that its any computer even those on the web.-->

Woohoo thank you very much Aftermath. Woohoo it finaly works /me does a little dance

Edit now I'm getting this HTTP Error 401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. I tried adding a virtual directory.

Last edited:
Ok can you browse the virtual directory from local host?

What are you trying to do?
a. list a content's?
b. execute a .ASP site in the VD?

a == you must enable directory browsing in the advanced tab
b ==? check anonymous user has permissions in advanced, that integrated authentication is not enabled and that scripts and maybe executables are enabled in the advanced options.

http://txs1.ath.cx/images/help2.jpg

in 2k3 this is on the home directory and the directory security tabs.

Last edited:
As of right now going to http://localhost brings up nothing but going to my domain does. Sad thing is the option you have list don't seem to be in IIS7. Also there seems to be nothing info or support on the net for IIS7 either.

If You go to programs and features in control panel you can select "Turn windows features on or off"

in this menu if you find IIS expand this and there should be IIS6 Management compatibility.

Please add the MMC for IIS6 ("IIS 6 Management Console")

also make sure that the authentication options in "Security" are installed.

edit:
Ok I've just put on iis7

if you are in the window the settings you want have the cartoon pictures on the right.

In the lower tab is:
authentication
authorization rules
and directory browsing.

^^ I expect you will need to select the VD and then check each of these.

In the bindings options I think you want * and 80.

Last edited:
Anonymous Authentication Enabled
authorization rules Allow Anonymous Users Entry Type Local
directory browsing Time checked, Size checked, Extension checked, Date checked. All of those are done in Web site, web site name and VD. I still get the nice 401.1 error.
IIS6 Management compatibility. installed
IIS 6 Management Console installed

Last edited:
ok if you do start(windows key)+r get the run box type MMC ok
click file
add\remove snapins
select IIS6
supply machine name (might work never done it) now you should have the same tools as on win2k3.

You will want to select your site right click chose permissions,
click advanced.
click check box to replicate permissions to child objects.

edit :: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871179 don't know if this will be any help.

edit2

1) Open IIS Manager. (6)
2) Right click the website select properties
3) Click on the "Directory Security" tab.
4) Click "Edit" for "Anonymous Access and authentication control".
5) Enable anonymous access.
6) Right click the website
7) On the permissions options
8) Verify anonymous users /Internet guest account (Iusr_machine)

then do

9) click advanced.
10) click check box to replicate permissions to child objects.

edit3:
Why do you need a VD?

Last edited:
Back