• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600+Arctic Freezer Pro7 able to OC to 3ghz??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grate

Registered
Hello friends --
I'm thinking about a new build now and I was wondering if anyone is using
an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 to cool the Q6600? I'd like to OC to 3ghz as well and the price seems pretty cheap. So does anyone have any experience using this HSF?
Thanks for any info.

With a Quad I would suggest an Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower. The Freezer 7 will be marginal on that chip I would think.

Hello friends --
I'm thinking about a new build now and I was wondering if anyone is using
an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 to cool the Q6600? I'd like to OC to 3ghz as well and the price seems pretty cheap. So does anyone have any experience using this HSF?
Thanks for any info.
I have personally dealt with this cooler (on one of my machines) and its cooling wasn't too far ahead of stock.

I used a bolt through method so that I KNOW it was making amazing contact and was hitting 50c+ under load at 3.00ghz with a e6400, good case flow.

I can tell you that I wouldn't run that cooler on a quad at 3.0ghz ;)

If you want cheap, I highly recommend the Scythe Mine cooler, it can be had for around $20 ;)

Thanks for the replies!
Looks like I'll be staying away from the Arctic Freezer for this D:
I guess I'm willing to spend around 50$ for a good enough heatsink/fan that will keep my cool at 3ghz with the Q6600. I've got my head set around the Apex PC-381 case though, so I'm not sure exactly how much that will limit me space wise:confused:
I was looking at the Zalman CNPS9500LED..several people claiming that Q6600 works well at 3ghz(and beyond) with it..but I havn't found any reviews that used it :(.
Thanks again for the help. Any more input would be appreciated!

Thanks for the replies!
Looks like I'll be staying away from the Arctic Freezer for this D:
I guess I'm willing to spend around 50$ for a good enough heatsink/fan that will keep my cool at 3ghz with the Q6600. I've got my head set around the Apex PC-381 case though, so I'm not sure exactly how much that will limit me space wise:confused:
I was looking at the Zalman CNPS9500LED..several people claiming that Q6600 works well at 3ghz(and beyond) with it..but I havn't found any reviews that used it :(.
Thanks again for the help. Any more input would be appreciated!

The Zalman's a good choice, but I'd personally go for the Ultra 120 Extreme or Ultra 90

I've got a Q6600 B3 running with the stock cooler at 3GHz and I'm gonna throw a Freezer Pro 7 on there tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out. Core temps under the stock cooler are in the 70s right now.

The Zalman's a good choice, but I'd personally go for the Ultra 120 Extreme or Ultra 90
That's good to hear about the Zalman..Are the Ultra a lot bigger? I'm not sure exactly how big/much room I've got in that Apex PC-381.

Mustanley said:
I've got a Q6600 B3 running with the stock cooler at 3GHz and I'm gonna throw a Freezer Pro 7 on there tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out. Core temps under the stock cooler are in the 70s right now.
Thanks!

That's good to hear about the Zalman..Are the Ultra a lot bigger? I'm not sure exactly how big/much room I've got in that Apex PC-381.

Thanks!

The Ultra 90 is not as tall as the Ultra 120 and should fit in almost any case. So if Dimensions are a problem, the Ultra 90 is a great choice.

Here are some before and after readings (4 cores loaded with SETI) going from the Intel reference cooler to the Freezer Pro7. I changed nothing else except for the HSF (AS5 used on the reference and new Freezer Pro7).
Ambients temps were the same - 77F.

I expect the temps to drop a degree or two after the AS5 settles.

Attachments

• cpu-z.JPG
    cpu-z.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 222
  • temp-stock.JPG
    temp-stock.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 206
  • temp-freezer7.JPG
    temp-freezer7.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Here are some before and after readings (4 cores loaded with SETI) going from the Intel reference cooler to the Freezer Pro7. I changed nothing else except for the HSF (AS5 used on the reference and new Freezer Pro7).

Wow that was a nice drop. Thanks for posting your results! I've got some thinking to do it seems.

Which image is stock and which is the ACF7P?

That is a nice drop, but those are still very high temperatures for 3ghz ;)
:(
I'll never stop thinking about this unless I just jump now. I think I'm going to get the Zalman CNPS9500LED...I have a Zalman cooling a p4 [email protected] on this computer for the past three years so I trust them...Is this a decent choice for a q6600?:confused:
Thanks for all the replies so far.

Which image is stock and which is the ACF7P?

The ACFP7 is beating the stock cooler by 8-10 degrees C.

That is a nice drop, but those are still very high temperatures for 3ghz ;)
Agreed, it's in a 4u rack mount case that has horrible airflow. Two 120mm intakes and 0 exhaust fans :confused:

I'm happy to let it load up at 70C though, I figure it'll live for a few years at those temps without any degredation.

:(
I'll never stop thinking about this unless I just jump now. I think I'm going to get the Zalman CNPS9500LED...I have a Zalman cooling a p4 [email protected] on this computer for the past three years so I trust them...Is this a decent choice for a q6600?:confused:
Thanks for all the replies so far.
Why get that cooler when the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme is a little more and will perform better :confused:

I'd say no to the Zalman...

Agreed, it's in a 4u rack mount case that has horrible airflow. Two 120mm intakes and 0 exhaust fans :confused:

I'm happy to let it load up at 70C though, I figure it'll live for a few years at those temps without any degredation.
That will do it. I'm sure it would run at 70c, but that would constantly bother me :(

This is the case I ordered: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154070&Tpk=apex+pc-381

Physical Spec
Dimensions 16" x 7.3" x 17.5" (H x W x D)

The specs for the Thermalright:
Physical Spec
Heatsink Dimensions 63.44 x 132.00 x 160.50mm

That's close to 6.5" in height right? Will it fit this case? :(
Hmm, that would be close, order the Ultima 90 instead, that will work.

Also, I really hope you don't intend to use that "power supply" that the case comes with.

Hmm, that would be close, order the Ultima 90 instead, that will work.

Also, I really hope you don't intend to use that "power supply" that the case comes with.

I ordered the 550w Corsair to replace it.

What size fan do you suggest for the Ultra 90? I'll order that instead of the Zalman since you guys suggest it.

Back