• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI-E 16x slot dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Drinkyoghurt

hi guys,

to make a long story short,

cpu waterblock leaked on videocard, videocard busted.

now when i looked today i noticed that 1 of the pins in the PCI-E 16x slot had some kind of crust on it, it was a bronze colour...now i put some ethanol(or whatever nail polish remover is, but the pure stuff) on a tissue, put the tissue over the slot and inserted the card. 1st time i did this the tissue had some bronze like residue on it, but 2nd time this didn't appear anymore, though there is still some crust left, and i can't get it off. Will this kill a new card or let it not function when i put it in? I have a Lanparty friday(tomorrow) and I need for it to function properly, because a friend of mine has a spare 7900 card(also i am getting a 8800gt this monday)

so will it work or not?

Drinkly

Be very careful with the nail polish remover(you said "pure stuff") Pure would be Acetone which is the main ingrediat in nail polish remover.:eek:

Acetone is awesome removing paint and glue and everything....downside full strenght will actually eat pastic and turn it into a sticky mess.

Alcohol is better, simply because it will not damage plastic

And this thread is dealing with an Intel cpu? No, it's a motherboard issue so off we go to Intel socket 775. ;)

I would be very careful with acetone and some plastics because as mentioned, it can mess some plastics. The alcohol should be much safer and if possible get the 90% variety as it should dry faster and leave less residual water moisture.

What additives did you have in your leaking water loop? The antifreeze or whatever that was in your coolant might also have stained the metal in the slot.

lol i thought i clicked motherboards *doh*

anyway i am on the lanparty, my windows is acting strange, the windows xp loading screen is all messed up, and when i try to install drivers for the gfx card it won't, it will restart in the middle of it.

On vista I am havinga bit more luck, drivers install, but when i try to play the game trackmania it says it isn't recognised, and i get this vague security issue from vista... :S

can anyone help me with this?

lol i thought i clicked motherboards *doh*

anyway i am on the lanparty, my windows is acting strange, the windows xp loading screen is all messed up, and when i try to install drivers for the gfx card it won't, it will restart in the middle of it.

On vista I am havinga bit more luck, drivers install, but when i try to play the game trackmania it says it isn't recognised, and i get this vague security issue from vista... :S

can anyone help me with this?
Try another card and see if the issues stop. If it does, then the card is at fault ;)

i dont think its the card, because its a brand spanking new 8600gt, from a friend of mine, which used it just fine...but ill try...ill aks if he has another card laying around :)

Back