• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More about the Errata....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is one of those cases where the page marking keeps track of what is in L2 and L3. What can happen is the table that keeps track of this has to be brought in to L2 to be changed and then copied back with the updates. Apparently the processor can mark entries in memory where the TLB has not given a copy of shared version. All updates to the TLB are made in a copy then copied back to the real table.
Think of it as a clipboard hanging on a wall that keeps track of tools in a shop. Every day the page on the clipboard gets replaced with a new copy of the tools out for use on that day. A 298 occurs when someone marks the clipboard before the days new sheet is posted and takes the tool back to there workcenter. The shop foreman then replaces the sheet which now is corrupt because the tool is marked on the old list and not the new. The tool is no longer accounted for and the list is corrupted.

That could definatly be a serious issue, what was AMD thinking letting a problem like that be there and making those chips? I know that the Phenom was overdue but still.

And that to me definatly doesn't sound like a motherboard based issue.

They are taking risks, first they claimed it wil be out by June, then they hoped by the time it Phenom launches it is fixed, not yet, then lets sell a few and by the time ppl notice we have a new stepping, and finally lets sell K8 that works.

From looking at TechReports benches, engineering added a speed up in B2 that may have introduced this bug. I notice that the ES samples scored just a little below the production models and before the Patch.

Apparently AMD is not alone in the errata business.

I know this is a little off topic but just to show we see this from time to time.
Intel has one as seen on a french site "Les Yorkfield retardés." (Yorkfield held back)
http://translate.google.com/transla...=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=fDp&sa=G

Please don't use this to start a war of chips, I just wanted to show an equal footing. I was looking to run both Intels.

Where are the stories on Fudzilla?

Last edited:
Back