• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another optical drive seemingly dead

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

{begin rant:
I have only had this drive for less than a year (dvdrw), and like so many other drives that I have purchased in the past 4 or 5 years have only lasted10 months or so.
I don't remember where I got this POS, and don't remember the brand,all I get for an ID is some mumber.
All of a sudden it won't reckognise any cd's. :cry:
This drive has not been used much, only the occaisional dvd burn, or load a program that came on dvd..otherwise I use the cdrw for most of the chores like running a game that requires using the cd.
I have never updated the firmware on a drive..is it pretty straight forward?
My next drive will be a LITE-ON.....:end rant}

Yes, updating the firmware is painless, or should be.

I've purchased 2 Pioneers (107D, 112D) in the last 4 years and both running very well with hundreds of CD's burned and a large bit of DVD's. Both were kept flashed up to date and not a problem with the flash process. Also had a Lite-On DVD drive which was pretty good but I put more trust in my Pioneers.

The dev manager says IDE1008 scsi device..this thing can't make up it's mind wether it's a scsi or IDE...this device has a split personality.
I'm going to a sale at the fairgrounds today, hopefully they will have a sata burner for cheap.
Thanks for the replies
Doc

I pretty much gave up on internal optical drives a while ago. It's annoying enough to have to accommodate them via power cables and IDE/SATA ports but I've also had optical drives cause lots of grief in the past, like causing the entire system to pause at random, etc.

I switched over to using a USB2.0 DVDRW and I'll never look back. I get the exact same functionality without having to really deal with it in any way.

Now this is just weird...I changed out the dvd drive, and put in the cdrw, and it still won't reckognise any cd's.
What's really got me scratching my head, is the hdd is on the same controler, and it is ok..WTF?

I've gone through Lite-on's, NEC, Creative, Sony, and LG. I finally spent more money and bought a Plextor. It's been going strong for over 2 yrs. This has been by far the best optical drive I ever bought.

I tried to use the Iwill sideraid controler, and it wouldn't even let me into the cmos on either the raid card, or the main mobo bios :bang head
this is very frustrating...looks like I'm gonna fight the crouds at wally world for a new one.

I've gone through Lite-on's, NEC, Creative, Sony, and LG. I finally spent more money and bought a Plextor. It's been going strong for over 2 yrs. This has been by far the best optical drive I ever bought.

Plextors are just rebranded now so that deserved reputation they had probably doesn't apply any more.

Optical drives have just become consumable items unfortunately, ever since they hit the sub-$40 range and every penny matters. Some old drives I installed years ago for others are still working but they cost a good $150+ as well. Lite-Ons are kind of cheap to be honest, just by the feel of the build quality. Some other brands are still pretty good but I don't expect drives to last for years and at <$30 a pop I almost don't care.

NEC's have easily been the most reliable burners I have ever used.

Only hitch is they do not make one with lightscribe...that and directron does not sell them anymore.

I've found myself that lite-on drives never last me very long, couple of months a best, and never having that 'little bit extra' to buy a better name brand drive have always had good luck with drives from seemingly unknown manufacturers. Current drive is an Emprex dvdrw, I write about 15-20 dvds and 10-15 cds a week with it and so far has lasted bout 8 months, last drive was an artec cdrw and lasted 18 months with roughly 20-25 cd's a week being burnt.

Jus' my 2pence

Those unknown manufacturers are probably just rebranded drives built by someone else.

Pretty much yes, just seemed to have more luck with them, although one drive came with its own flashing program which accessed the internet to find a new firmware (which it never found:))

Back