• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WEIRD noise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Hi

I hear this strange noise like what would sound like a fan touching a piece of paper like titititititititititititititititi really fast whenever I'm in D3D mode.

I opened my case and its not coming from the HD or the CPU fan or the PSU fan or the fan on my 8800GTS or the case fan, because I stopped them all and it still makes the noise. its coming from inside the GPU card itself I think... either there or the motherboard- like a big capacitor charging and decharging really fast or something???

If you run a gpu stress program such as ATItool or fur benchmark, do you get artifacts?

if you get anomelies then I would suggest returning the card or Rma.

If you run a gpu stress program such as ATItool or fur benchmark, do you get artifacts?

if you get anomelies then I would suggest returning the card or Rma.

I got no anomalies but the noise is definitely the card

when ATItool was rotating the cube I can hear what sounds like a very quiet dentists drill in my case going weeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa in my case going from eeeee to aaaaa as the cube vibrates. Its alike a very high pitched whine whirring up and down but not very loud, like a voltage regulator but a really loud one...

is this normal for the 8800GTS512?? I know they're all basically the same card and different manf's just slap their sticker on it..

Mine ticks like that under load while overclocked. ;)

well that takes care of the ticking- but what is this high constant pitch? Its not a ticking- this second sound I'm talking about is a high pitch constant whine- like a jet engine.

when I told atitool to find maxmem- i could hear the note of the pitch getting higher and higher each time it increased the memspeed like a turbocharger compresser pushing tighter and tighter... then I got a greyscreen and reset...

Its quite the noise. I hope you understand- this is not a tick.. but I have heard the tick during games like i said

thx all

well that takes care of the ticking- but what is this high constant pitch? Its not a ticking- this second sound I'm talking about is a high pitch constant whine- like a jet engine.

when I told atitool to find maxmem- i could hear the note of the pitch getting higher and higher each time it increased the memspeed like a turbocharger compresser pushing tighter and tighter... then I got a greyscreen and reset...

Its quite the noise. I hope you understand- this is not a tick.. but I have heard the tick during games like i said

thx all
First....don't ever use the Max Core or Max Mem buttons. They can easily kill the card, the "artifact detection" does not work correctly, so it just keep pushing it higher and higher until it locks or overheats.

Is it really loud? I don't hear any whining, but my fans are pretty loud...

Ninja edit: Just killed a game and I noticed there was a buzzing sound along with the ticking...

Back