• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 harddrives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orty84

Registered
just want to know if i could install 2 harddrives in my com so i have for for music and dvds and other for normal stuff if so how would i go about doing it

yes you can...

First thing you want to do is check your mother board to see if it's Sata compatible. If so go that route!

SATA%20vs%20PATA.png
Look for a ribbon cable on the back of your hard drive.

Ribbon Cable
1073348450.300.jpg

ultraflex-sata-cable-2.jpg
Sata connector

IDE Install guide:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-a-hard-drive-step-by-step/

Sata Install guide:
http://www.easeus.com/resource/install-sata-hard-drive.htm

maybe it's the beer "talking" (I really should take responsibility myself, but I drink so rarely [and it is past noon...])

LOL: love the picture of a ribbon cable. Where's the picture of the wall AC outlet? ... jk

anyway, regarding the question (and welcome to the forums):
Many hard drives is plenty common and quite easy to install with just a couple basics.

I would think that the most elusive element would be the master/slave selection on an IDE setup (the ribbon cable). There are little jumpers (small connectors that can be changed) that are usually labeled on the drive's sticker that show what position makes the drive a "master" or a "slave".
Don't feel bad for the "slave", it is just the secondary drive on the cable, the "master" is simply the first.
Like: controller 1, drive 1 and controller 1, drive 2. (however they will likely be called controller 0, drive 0, and controller 0, drive 1 by the computer; what-with its grandiose attitude for the number zero and all.)

SATA connects only one drive per cable (separate, but equal?) and doesn't bother with any such master/slave designation. (I'm sure they're all slaves to the SATA controller, that SOB.)

Power... drive needs power; pretty much: if it fits, it should work. There are special power plugs from the power supply that will fit onto the drive and I cannot think of power connectors that would not work if they fit the socket.

Just wanted to chime in there...

this blurb brought to you by Widmer Hefeweizen :beer:

Back