• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 doa?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

reboot

I just got my e 8400, and I put it into my asus maximus, and when I power on I get the leds on, fans on, and hd's make some noise.

thats it, no beeps no post

it is a dead cpu? bad mobo pins?
:confused:

does it show any video? I can almost gurantee you the CPU is not-DOA. Do you have all 3 motherboard power plugs connected to your PSU?

Have another processor to test it out?
If possible, pop in another, update the BIOS, then drop in the e8400.
Look over everything, test everything. Hopefully it's just something screwy/stupid.

Could be bad pins, but that usually goes with beeps.

bios update

yeahthat.gif

also could you list the rest of the parts used on this 680I motherboard... since you sig seems out of date..

Put the old CPU back in and update the BIOS, like said b4.

If that doesn't work, disconnect all drives and peripherals except video and try to boot. If that doesn't work, take the MB out of the case and try again. There could be a short between the motherboard and case.

uh the new bios file is 2 meg? how am i supposed to fit this in a floppy?

good thing i have a flash drive

asus maximus formula is a x 38

as a correction 680i supports 65nm quads and only 45nm dual core...780i add the 45nm quad support.

I had the same problem with my new system! Spent all day trying to figure out what the hell was wrong.

You need to update to the latest bios from ASUS. Pop the old cpu in, update to the latest bios, drop the the e8400 back in and you'll be good go :beer:

OP

For Maximus Formula and E8000 series you need bios update off ASUS site

http://support.asus.com/download/do...=en-us&model=Maximus Formula (Special Edition)

newest bios is 0907 for the board, yes you need to flash bios before the install of E8400. Put a suitable cpu in the board for the flashing process.

...go to page 4-4 in the Maximus manual and follow the steps...you need to use ASUS EZ Flash 2 Utlity, this is a "fairly safe" way to update your bios you can use an USB thumb drive(safer than a floppy disk) and of course with a 2mb bios update you have no choice but use a USB flash drive. You are updating the bios outside of Windows, this preferable to using the Windows based tool ASUS(repeat>>DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS BASED BIOS UPDATE)

The extracted bios update should read "MF0907" and should be placed on your flash drive.

Let us know how it turns out.

Not really sure why other posters were discussing Nvida chipsets..hopefully they didnt confuse you.

Back