• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 doa?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
when i searched to check the chipset board google came up with a asus board that had maximus in the name and listed 680i. without the full model name you cant all be sure your getting the righ info on the board...maybe i missed a letter in the name i really dunno now, cause at the time it did come up at 680i boards.. *shrugs*

I have the 680i chipset with the ASUS P5N32-E SLI and could not get the E8400 to post at all..even after updating to BIOS version 1302(I believe that's correct). I plugged the E6750 back in and got a perfect boot.

Before I ordered the E8400, I called ASUS tech support to see if this CPU is compatible with my mobo. Tech support said "yes". After installing the chip and not getting any results, I called ASUS again. This time a tech rep. advised the E8400 IS NOT compatible with this particular mobo..even if it is a socket 775. It just will not support 45nm. So, I reluctantly boxed up the E8400 and sent it back to MWave.com for a refund. This was quite disappointing.

the board will, you need a different bios then if it didnt boot on that one.

I have the 680i chipset with the ASUS P5N32-E SLI and could not get the E8400 to post at all..even after updating to BIOS version 1302(I believe that's correct). I plugged the E6750 back in and got a perfect boot.

Before I ordered the E8400, I called ASUS tech support to see if this CPU is compatible with my mobo. Tech support said "yes". After installing the chip and not getting any results, I called ASUS again. This time a tech rep. advised the E8400 IS NOT compatible with this particular mobo..even if it is a socket 775. It just will not support 45nm. So, I reluctantly boxed up the E8400 and sent it back to MWave.com for a refund. This was quite disappointing.

erm.. i have a friend with this combo, i've seen it working. could it be a mobo revision thing?

cpus dont come new doa, they test them all before the yare shipped out, they have to go through quality control firsT:)

erm.. i have a friend with this combo, i've seen it working. could it be a mobo revision thing?

According to ASUS, the P5N32E-SLI is not compatible. There are some variations of the P5N32E board. If your friend does have the exact same board as mine, by all means, have him send me a note indicating which BIOS version he's using in order to use the E8400. I tried the 1205 and 1302 versions, G0 step.

I called ASUS again today. The tech I spoke with advised that the E8400 WAS designed to work on the P5N32-E SLI mobo, but they could not get it to work on this particular one. Of course, the tech couldn't explain how they "couldn't get it to work". Sounds like to me no one has an idea on "why".

look in cpuz if it says NV650 or a 600NV based chipset it supports it..now it could be the old NV570.. check cpuz for me? :)

look in cpuz if it says NV650 or a 600NV based chipset it supports it..now it could be the old NV570.. check cpuz for me? :)

As soon as I get my pc back in service...my OS decided to crash last night. Can't boot to desk top and I've had my IT guy at work troubleshoot the problem. Looks like XP Pro is going to have to be reinstalled. This happend the same day I updated BIOS. Oh, well...I've joined the ranks of those who share the same experience:bang head

if you are having that much trouble with it. after you get things sorted put it up on ebay. then get a GigaByte P35-DS3 or P35-DS4, no more problems...

CPU-Z shows Nvidia nforce 680i SLI SPP, Rev. A2
BIOS ACPI Rev. 1302

It's a good thing I have a 2nd hard drive to install Win XP on...otherwise I wouldn't be responding tonight:beer: My Raptor HD is gonna get reformatted and everything reinstalled. This is gonna take a LONG time since I primarily use the Raptor for FS9. Too many add-ons to reinstall.

there should be a beta bios to add E8400 support to that board. cause i know for a fact all nv600's support wolfdale cpus.

there should be a beta bios to add E8400 support to that board. cause i know for a fact all nv600's support wolfdale cpus.

The BIOS version I have is the beta 1302. Maybe someone who has the exact board can point me to another beta that works for this CPU? If folks are using the E8400 with my specific board, why would ASUS advise that the combination is not compatible?

Back