• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better music quality in 10 minutes>>

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Improve the sound you already have- even if its crummy onboard (but please get a real sound card)

>If you have a discrete soundcard, allocate it the earliest interrupt priority possible. Check your motherboard manual- some motherboards answer an IRQ6 before an IRQ3, check your tables.

>Put your soundcard in as high up a PCI slot as possible, this tends to increase its priority also

>Use FOOBAR2000 to play your music via either KS or ASIO (download program/plugins @ their site very easy) and use whichever your system supports with as low a latency as you can achieve without getting pops or skips (100ms is ideal if you can manage it)

>CTRL ALT DEL and assign FOOBAR "HIGH" process priority while playback is stopped.

>Set FOOBAR to either 16 or 32 bit, ideally 32 if your system supports it @44100Hz (all this is in "OUTPUT" menu) also set you soundcard to 44100Hz or a multiple thereof. Trying to send a 44100 signal through a 48000/96000 etc filter will= crappy sound.

This will improve your fidelity substantially- but remember that if you are multitasking you will be prone to buffer overruns and skips.

hi'
a bit tortuous ...
and as long as I remember, the sound card has to be as far as possible from the video card to avoid interference ...

anyone has an idea about this?
seems strange to me :(

i686

hi'
a bit tortuous ...
and as long as I remember, the sound card has to be as far as possible from the video card to avoid interference ...

anyone has an idea about this?
seems strange to me :(

i686

Not really man. Especially the new videocards with the giant full length heatsink.

I have a card that has shielding on it anyways so I woudlnt know

Ive been a Foobar junkie for a long time. I usually switch between ASIO and the SSRC upsampler at 176.4KHz. These days, video cards dont interfere with sound cards so much. I tried ERS paper on my Prodigy HD2 and heard no differences.

Back