• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st timer, 4000+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MCBTunes

Registered
I've done some reading and come to the conclusion that the AI Booster program that came with my mobo is the wrong way to overclock.

My processor has been bottlenecking my games bigtime, I need to run the graphics way lower than I should for the GPU I have.

So I need an overclock, on the forums people say "stock voltages" all the time. I've heard that an overclock without a voltage increase isnt likely to do much of anything in terms of proformance. Is there truth to this? Where can I find information about safely increasing voltages, otherwise? Is my gear pretty safe if I overclock without a voltage change?

How can I be "mostly certain" that I am not going to do significant damage to my components? Will my GPU/mobo etc be void of warranty if I OC my processor?

well, there are two things...

a) i love the OC untility that comes with an asus board. it significantly reduces the amount of reboots you need to do in order to get yourself a good OC. the key is to use the manual settings rather than the auto-OC stuff. That will get you the best OC you can, and personally, I have had nothing but failures and lockups with the auto-oc stuff.

b) in my experiance, the 4000+ brissy cores are pretty nice OC'ers considering their price. My brissy (in my sig) is 'technically' at stock volts, and running at 2.8 ghz. AMD states the Vcore voltage of that CPU as 1.25-1.35, but most mobos default to 1.3 volts. if you are running stock speeds, you should have no problem running at 1.25 volts. As long as your temperatures stay low, you should have no issues with OCing your CPU at stock volts. Heat is really one of the major causes of chip-death, and OCing lowers its max temp.

Your GPU warrenty will not be voided by OCing your CPU. You will have to check with asus as far as the mobo is concerned. Personally, I havent checked into it, cause I really dont care about the mobo warrenty. Another idea to keep temps low on your CPU post-ocing, is to de-lid your CPU, but that is a risky operation, which could distroy your chip. research it, and think if its for you.

reguardless of the result of OCing, or not, the brisbane 4000+ is a steal at under $60. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks Blue, I've heard this is a phenomenal cpu for overclocking, it was that advice that lead me to picking it up.

Currently, based on another mobo app. PC Probe II my Vcore voltage hangs around between 1.19(typical)-1.36(load).... Am I correct in understand then that if I were to look into changing a voltage Vcore would be the one rather than +3.3, +5.0 or +12.0? All three of those seem to hang out a little bit higher than their labels.

So all I really need to do is go into bios and set my CPU to say 2600 rather than 2100? What about ram etc?

Is there a recommended program I should install to be sure everything is "safe" my temps arent too high and it is stable etc.

Read this
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768
also read the link in my sig about power supplies

As long as your CPU temps don't go over 55C under Orthos load then that's fine. You should be running Orthos to test stability. As for Vcore I wouldn't go over 1.6v - 1.5v for 24/7 usage.

BTW :welcome:

ps - my 4000+ doesn't really clock that well

as far as your 4000+ Mnot clocking too well, check out amdgeeks.net. they have an awesome OC database per stepping (you have to see your IHS to see your stepping on your CPU. mine seems to be the lowest on the database (atleast when i posted it) but i know i have more room, im just happy with my low temps and speed boost all together, so i really dont have a real reason for pushing it faster, although the urge is there, the time to do things the right way is not.

Is my heatsink good enough for me to go into bios and change my processor from 2100 to say.... 2600Mhz? Higher/lower? I've got one 120mm fan blowing out, and I guess I'll be adding another silent fan to the front of the case to suck in a little extra.

Some Specs.
Heat Sink: 104 x 58 x 126.5 mm
Fan: 107 x 43.5 x 96 mm
Overall Dimensions: 107 x 96.5 x 126.5 mm
Rated Fan Speed: 900-2200 RPM (PWM)
Power Consumption: 0.16 Amp.
Air Flow: 40 CFM / 68 m3/h
Weight: 528 g
Noise Level: 0.8 Sone
Thermal Resistance: 0.18°C/Watt
Thermal Interface Material: Pre-applied MX-1 Paste
Warranty: 6 Years

Here is your answer.

Read this
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768 ( i think orthos is eaiser to use than prime )
also read the link in my sig about power supplies

As long as your CPU temps don't go over 55C under Orthos load then that's fine. You should be running Orthos to test stability. As for Vcore I wouldn't go over 1.6v - 1.5v for 24/7 usage.

BTW :welcome:

ps - my 4000+ doesn't really clock that well

just wait until i can volt mod i'm gonna hit 3Ghz no doubt. I think it's amazing 2.8Ghz on stock voltages. I just wish i could find a guide to manual up the vcore because my mobo doesn't allow it....

Your HSF should be fine for overclocking I've had my 4800 to 3.1ghz with 1.48v VCore without the load temp going above 53*C using the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64.

Back