• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safari web browser

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

I have started using the safari web browser and I have to admit I do like it. A LOT! The latest version has the spellchecking like FF and is faster IMHO. However there is one issue I haven't resolved. One thing I liked about firefox is I could click on something and instead of downloading and saving it I could tell it to simply download it and open. Like .pdf's or driver updates where I don't feel like having to go back to the desktop top to open it. Any idea how to make safari do this? If I could find a way I'd be sold.

don't know if you are on windows or os x but on my mac

Safari > Preferences > General > check mark in Open "safe" files after downloading

I have started using the safari web browser and I have to admit I do like it. A LOT! The latest version has the spellchecking like FF and is faster IMHO. However there is one issue I haven't resolved. One thing I liked about firefox is I could click on something and instead of downloading and saving it I could tell it to simply download it and open. Like .pdf's or driver updates where I don't feel like having to go back to the desktop top to open it. Any idea how to make safari do this? If I could find a way I'd be sold.

Yup, he's right.

It's in Safari's prefs setting for auto opening downloads. But that's the 'number one' bad thing you can have on, if you download something you don't want. It is a huge security issue (Viruses, Worms, Trojans, ID fishing, etc) and imho not remotely worth the risk.

;)

- Blackstar

Yeah safari is faster and actually better at rendering than most browsers. Personally I don't like it, but its good to see that someone is picking it up :)

i used to use safari then my friend sent me the firefox 3 beta 1 and it was faster so i swapped and i havent really looked back yet

I hated Safari, it sucks when traveling and going to places that require remote redirect to get internet access, Safari doesn't like remote redirect,

turned many customers to Firefox for Mac.

Back