• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing new MB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

candkver

Registered
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question but I am planning on swapping out an old MB from my current system and installing a new nforce 680iLTsli MB with new CPU, Video card and memory. With my current system, I am running a dual boot OS of XP x86 and XP x64.

My question is this:
When I remove the old hardware and install the new, when I go to power on the new system (in the old chassis) will it boot up to windows or do I have to re-install the OS? (please God say I don't have to re-install).

If I do have to re-install, can I install Vista X64 overtop the XP x86(drive C) version and still have access to the XP x64 (drive D) version as this is the one that I have all of my programs, etc currently installed on?

from my personal experience you shouldn't have to. I had a mobo fry on me because my brother and I were troubleshooting, and I ended up buying a new PSU and mobo, kept the chip and everything else as well (memory, gpu etc) and it posted the first time I turned it on, but of course there is always gonna be the initial kinks.
didn't have to re-install anything.
good luck!

nope you dont have to reinstall however there could be driver problems.
As for installing over your c: drive you should be able to do that, though it might install vista and xp on the same drive so your boot record would show 3 os'

if you wanted to you could format your c: drive.
If you are asking if you can upgrade, no you cant upgrade a 32bit operating system to a 64 bit one

Well the changing out of parts went well, and XPx64 booted up without a hitch.

Haven't tried installing vista yet. The Xp x86 is on my C partition and the XP x64 on the D. I think I will pop in the vista disk, format the C partition and install it there. It should leave the D partition alone and give me a dual boot system of Vista X64 and XP x64, right?

yes in theory in shouldnt touch your D: drive. HOWEVER be aware that if your master boot record is on the C drive, vista has been known to mess this up and it doesnt show xp anymore.

if this happens, dont panic.
Put in your windows XP cd and boot from it. After it loads all the devices or what have you in its blue install screen hit "R" to load the recovery console. Once you are at the command prompt type

fix /mbr

this should allow you to dual boot

Back