• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X38-ds4 (NB) North Bridge Voltage / OCZ Platinum Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mastroz

I wanted to change the NB voltage on my motherboard because i'm getting freezing problems with my ram and everything. Does ne 1 know where exactly this is? I think I found it, but i'm not sure. is it the (g) mch overvoltage control? I changed it to +.3 more. Please let me know if this is safe and everything. I recently got OCZ platinum memory and I get some freezing on my computer with heavy loads. I got 2x1gb sticks. I also changed the ddr voltage to +.3 also. I think auto was 1.8v? So it's at 2.1v and 5x5x5x15 timings right now. Let me know if this is all correct. Should I change anything for the Standard and Advanced timings? Or just leave them all auto? Let me know what you guys think?? am I doing this right?

Thanks much guys!!

Jesus! I don't think you need ANYTHING like that much voltage to the northbridge.

To answer your question: MCH is indeed the northbridge. But I've put my Crucial Ballistix through 30 hours of 1150mhz at 5-5-5-12 at tRd 8 while using stock MCH voltage, so I don't think it's the northbridge voltage (or lack thereof) causing your lockups.

And 0.3v more? Don't crank it to max just because you're getting lockups, that's a great way to completely kill it or cause lockups for an entirely seperate reason.

Start by testing without overclock. If you're getting lockups at stock speeds, then it's your RAM plain and simple. What speeds are you trying to run? What is your ram rated for, speed and voltage?

My bad man, I'm running my Stock CPU speed right now. I needed to fix my signature. I have been for a little while now. Don't really need it at those speed. The Ram is rates for 55515, 1066mhz and 2.1 volts. I don't know what trd is...or what my is set too.
The auto voltage is 1.8 on the memory I think. Unless maybe now my pc is locking up because of nvidia drivers? I chagned that b4 I got this new ram thou. I don't remember getting any lock ups.

what should I do?? should I install the regular nvidia drivers too and not beta?

Rather than just randomly guessing and doing all kinds of wierdness, instead use a tool to test?

Start here: http://www.memtest86.com/

Burn a CD, begin testing your memory. Let it run for hours and leave ALL your settings at 100% stock. In fact, go into the BIOS and perform the operation for loading BIOS defaults just to make sure.

If MemTest86 can continue for hours upon hours without locking up or dying, you can be reasonably confident that your memory is working normally.

Nex: http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Download Orthos, start up Windows, kill EVERYTHING that might otherwise be running, and start Orthos in "Small FFTs". let it run for multiple hours. If this works without locking up or dying, you can be reasonable sure that your CPU is not having problems.

Then you can continue looking into other software and/or hardware, such as video, sound, et al.

ok cool, I'll do that when I get home. sounds like a good start to do. Thanks for your help. I will get back to you on this. Maybe even tonight. Maybe i'll try 2-3 hrs for each test or longer.

Memtest86 works prior to loading the OS, so yes. Orthos runs in my 64-bit XP Pro, so it should work on Vista 64-bit.

ok kewl.. i'm gonna run the memtest86 first :-D thanks for the reply... i will update and let you guys know.

quick update, I ran Memtest.. just loaded the file on disk booted up and no problems at all. It ran ofr like 2h 20 minutes with no errors.. I guess thats fine now.. I'll have to try the other program now..

Just going back to original question of NB / (G)MCH voltage, does anyone know what the default is? I have a GA-P35-DS3P and have no idea what it is. And for this chip, what would constitute a max voltage? The options on mine are from +0 to +.375v (yeah, but from what value Gigabyte????)

Just going back to original question of NB / (G)MCH voltage, does anyone know what the default is? I have a GA-P35-DS3P and have no idea what it is. And for this chip, what would constitute a max voltage? The options on mine are from +0 to +.375v (yeah, but from what value Gigabyte????)

I don't know what the default it. I think it may be 1.275 thou.

Well I did the memtest86 for 2.5 hrs and prime 95 with smalll fft's and it ram for about 5 hours with no problems. But it seems like when the ram gets underload it's gets really choopy and freezes. EX. I was tring to burn a dvd and I had my task manager open and watch the ram go up, and it would freeze everytime after a while of copying. Sometimes dfiferent amount of percent when it froze. Does anyone know a solution to the problem?? I called up OCZ and they said to try to clear the Cmos. And if that doesn't work to RMA it. Would this work? and does anyone know how to do it on the Gigabyte X38-DS4 Motherboard. I did have different memory in my computer before the memory I have in it now.

Thanks much! I'm getting sick of the freezes!

If Memtest ran for two hours without any errors, it's very likely not you ram. Ram usage goes up due to file caching from the operating system, but "choppiness" is indicative of performance issues, not memory or processing errors. Unstable memory will near-always lead to unrecoverable lockups or bluescreens.

You're suffering from something else -- your DVD player or drive may be stuck in PIO mode rather than UDMA. Or you may have a bad cable connection between the board and the DVD or hard drives. Or it may be a software issue with whatever you're using to burn. Or it may be a file conversion issue if you're coming from WMA/MP3/OGG/Vorbis/AAC/FLAC to CD, or DiVX/XVID/Whatever to DVD.

There's a zillion things it might be, but it's highly unlikely that it's your memory or processor if your system just chewed through Orthos and Memtest without any errors.

I'll have to try a different cable for my dvd drive. Maybe that one is bad. I did try to install a game and play cod4 and again my PC frooze almost everytime I tried to install the other game while running cod4. So maybe it would be a loose cable or something. Then what would it explain about lockups sometimes in games? I think most times it locked up when I was using the dvd drive. I'll have to closely think about that. But then again I tried running memtest in windows and i did the unused memory test or something. Unless I did that test too many times and was causing the lockups? I dunno? I didn't have any problems with my other ram in my computer at all. It never locked up.

I think you're just confusing yourself.

Before you go to bed tonight, start memtest86 and let it run until you wake up tomorrow. In fact, let it continue running until you get home after work/school tomorrow. I'm talking about a solid 12-16 hours of continuous testing.

If there no errors when you get home, the problem is not your ram. That way you can entirely stop focusing on whatever you think might be related to the memory.

ok, i'll have to try that. I just put the cd-rom in the drive and let the test rip right? don't press anything? I wait like 2.5 hrs and it did like well over 100 passes... just wondering if all that is normal and everything. Thanks for you help man.

What do you think about clearing my Cmos?? and how do I do that?

Don't do anything with the CMOS. The symptoms you describe are very unlikely to be CMOS related.

Put in the CD. Make sure the computer boots to the CD. Then leave it alone for 12 hours or more.

If it finds no errors, then you can entirely stop worrying or even asking about your memory stability -- because that will NOT be the problem.

Quick update, I have it running and I will check it when I get home from work. that way it will be 12 or more hours.. I was able to play COD4 and World in Conflict at the same time. So maybe it isn't the ram and maybe Software Related. I don't think it would be my graphics card. That worked fine in the game and didn't crash at all. I did it for a good 10 minutes or some. and that definatly more memory then would be burning a dvd. If it is software related, should I reinstall my whole PC or do you think it may be Nero Burning program? Just seems kinda weird how my memory just climbs and cpu is hardly going up and it freezes. Maybe it's something with nero. I'll have to go the site and maybe download a trail version and see what happens. Also check for a firmware update for my DVD dual layer drive. just incase there is some issues address in an update or some sorts. Anyway. What would be my next step if the memtest86 works fine? Did I tell you, my computer Frooze after a while when I ran the prime98 with lots of ram testing? with the smal fft's, I think that just checks the CPU and hardly no ram at all. That ran with no problem. What would be my next step?? Unless it's something with Windows Vista SP1? I can uninstall that. It's not rc1 but sp1 that I downloaded b4 the actual one comes out. I don't know if it did or now yet.

Last edited:
Back