• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte X38-ds4 (NB) North Bridge Voltage / OCZ Platinum Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Stop.

Quit thinking of the hojillion things it MIGHT be, and instead focus on what you're testing. The only thing you're doing is confusing yourself. If you want people to continue wanting to help you, then stop going off in thirty directions.

Tell us what the result of the memtest are when you get home.

Don't change any voltages on the X38-DS4 unless you are doing some crazy overclocking. I am doing a pretty good overclock for the e8400 3.0Ghz to 4.005 Ghz and the only voltage I raise is Vcore obviously. Stop using Nero, IMO the newer versions are the worst. There are a lot better options that don't come in 500MB packages and attempt to overtake every feature of your computer. If you do use Nero, do a custom install and choose your features wisely.

Be very careful in your post, because you get somewhat difficult to understand. If you don't know what you're talking about then read all of the stuff in this forum extensively before proceeding any further. If Prime95 failed, small FFT's, then either raise the Vcore or lower the FSB or both and retest for stability.

When troubleshooting keep in mind that much of what you are already using has been tested tried and true with other members of this forum time and time again. That's the whole idea of this medium.

However, I'm new so listen to everyone else besides me above and beyond all else.

ok, I ran the test for 21hours 20 minutes and no errors at all. When I ran the Prime 95, I did small ffts and I didn't freeze at all.

found something out last night. My dvd writer just basically died. I can't open it or anything. It lights up but nothing else. I'm going to buy a new one tonight and see what happens :-D Hopefully this is a cure. Most of the time my freezes were using the dvd writer. When I ram the Memtest I used other writer

If Memtest worked for 21 hours, memory isn't your issue -- and it's HIGHLY unlikely your northbridge too.

So, sounds like you're on your way to figuring it out. If a replacement DVD player fixes it, then aren't you glad you didn't start upping the voltage to uber levels? :) There is a method to our madness. :beer:

yep, I bought a dvd writer on my lunch and I'm going to hook it up and try it out and see what happens. I'll let you all know the results :-D

Prime95

Make sure you have the most updated version and run either Small FFT's for CPU testing or Blend for a total system test that hits the memory pretty hard. The reason I say make sure you have the newest version is that it is easier so that it will multithread on its own. The older versions still being linked to and hosted require having multiple instances opened from different directories in order to properly tax muticore CPU's. Also go in and select "check off rounding" so that it will alert you to errors immediately.

I also recommend the newest version of OCCT from Perestroika. It goes up to a one hour test that for me is much more rigorous and telling than 48 hours of Prime95. Just my opinion though.

Make sure you have the most updated version and run either Small FFT's for CPU testing or Blend for a total system test that hits the memory pretty hard. The reason I say make sure you have the newest version is that it is easier so that it will multithread on its own. The older versions still being linked to and hosted require having multiple instances opened from different directories in order to properly tax muticore CPU's. Also go in and select "check off rounding" so that it will alert you to errors immediately.

I also recommend the newest version of OCCT from Perestroika. It goes up to a one hour test that for me is much more rigorous and telling than 48 hours of Prime95. Just my opinion though.

I think I did Blend for my test since I wanted to do it over night. And all has been pretty good since. I also removed my current Nero and reinstalled the new SP1 patch Also. I think I have the rounding thing on thou. I'll have to try that other program you have listed. Do you have a link? I've never heard of it before. The Prime95 has been running 7 hours with no problems when I woke up. I'll have to see what up when I get home from work today. That should probably be enough time I think.

Oh, One other thing, Is my memory latency suppose to be faster then what it is? I got a 77 on my latency tests. Seemed a little slow. I dunno maybe it's fine.

Back