• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have I just messed up my CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChazzyFizzle

Registered
After a week or so of on of overclocking, my CPU will now not report and change in FSB through CPU-Z from stock settings. Despite being able to set the frequncy to 400 or 333 or anything in the bios, it says its still at 240 in more than one program. Is usually a sign its had it?

:welcome: to the forums :D

It takes a LOT more than that to kill it. What programs are "reporting" a 240 fsb? Did you change the multi at all?

Those numbers arent that high, so it shouldnt be dead. Ive only killed one processor, and it wasnt running slow, when it died, it died.

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Well earlier it was jumping straight from 63c to 54c on two of the cores under load, and the others remained the same, I just put two and two together. Sorry i meant 266mhz, CPU Z is saying 266 x 9 (2400mhz) and rivatuner is saying 2400mhz on each core so I think it true. I havent changed the multi since I got it, and this is the first time ive ever changed something in the BIOS and not been able to see the effects in progams....

Hi, thanks for the welcome. Well earlier it was jumping straight from 63c to 54c on two of the cores under load, and the others remained the same, I just put two and two together. Sorry i meant 266mhz, CPU Z is saying 266 x 9 (2400mhz) and rivatuner is saying 2400mhz on each core so I think it true. I havent changed the multi since I got it, and this is the first time ive ever changed something in the BIOS and not been able to see the effects in progams....
Are you sure it isn't changing the multiplier?

Either way, disable C1E and Speedstep in the BIOS and see if the problem follows.

I would clear the bios and start from scratch just to be on the safe side. I'll have to agree with thideras. It'll take a whole lot more than just changing the FSB to kill it.

Does the bios save the settings and boot to the set FSB? I had a Gigabyte P35 board that wouldn't affect changes in FSB and I ended up having to RMA it because of a corrupted bios..

EDIt: I say run express recovery and flash a new bios...

I guess so, but I have been playing around with voltage and stuff for the last few weeks, never hit over 70c though. Can this be a sign of killing it in some way though? I'm able to change the multiplier but no matter what I do the bus speed stays at 266. I just set the BIOS settings back to default and started over, with both the speedstep and enhanced halt disable, as well as C.I.A.2 disabled, still nothin. Now I am worried.

@RangerXLT8: I see, how do I go about flashing a new bios?

I guess so, but I have been playing around with voltage and stuff for the last few weeks, never hit over 70c though. Can this be a sign of killing it in some way though? I'm able to change the multiplier but no matter what I do the bus speed stays at 266. I just set the BIOS settings back to default and started over, with both the speedstep and enhanced halt disable, as well as C.I.A.2 disabled, still nothin. Now I am worried.

@RangerXLT8: I see, how do I go about flashing a new bios?

Go to Gigabytes website and pick you MB and download the correct Rev bios. The Rev of the board is on the corner nearest the last PCI slot. Put the bios on a floppy, go into the bios and use the flash utility. There is also a windows application you can DL from Gigabyte called @BioS which does it. Be careful flashing the bios, do not turn the PC off during the process....

With that mobo, if you put in a bad clock, it'll sorta-boot, then actually boot at (mostly) stock settings. It switches the 'enable CPU clock speed control' or whatever from enable to disable on it's own. When you set the BIOS 333mhz, then boot and see 266 in Wndows, then boot back into BIOS, does it still say 333?

Thats the worrying thing, its still says ive got it at 333mhz or whatever in the BIOS everytime I reset, just not showing it in windows..

I dont have a floppy drive, is it possible to do it with a cd?

If youre having (possible) stability issues, then I'd hold off with a bios flash. If it doesnt go properly, you could be down a motherboard. To see if it is having the errors ranger mentioned, I think just changing something in the bios, restarting, and loading the bios again would let you know if it was having issues saving settings.

Edit: You answered my question before I asked it :p

Thats the worrying thing, its still says ive got it at 333mhz or whatever in the BIOS everytime I reset, just not showing it in windows..

I dont have a floppy drive, is it possible to do it with a cd?

My mobo does that too on a bad overclock - the key is did you switch it back from 'disabled'? My Gigabyte will still show the 'failed' clock rate, but it will be sorta greyed out and not in effect after a bad boot.

See in the first pic at this link the CPU Host Clock Control is Disabled? You could set the FSB to 700mhz, then disable control and it would run at stock speeds. Sounds like this might be happening to you.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2118&page=6

Last edited:
Na it says enabled, its not greyed out and I can changed the value, but cant get it to actually change in windows, only the multiplier. Considering my mobo was working fine earlier today isn't it unlikely the firmware has ruined itself in some way? I got a horrible feeling my CPU is stuck like this

Last edited:
Sounds more like just the CMOS. Please clear the CMOS.
There's a small chance of a bad CR2032 battery.

Surely if the mobo battery was falty it wouldnt be remembering my settings. I just flashed the bios, went back to default settings, did a full system restore to last week, still cant change the clock speed. This is really starting to **** me off :mad:

Surely if the mobo battery was falty it wouldnt be remembering my settings. I just flashed the bios, went back to default settings, did a full system restore to last week, still cant change the clock speed. This is really starting to **** me off :mad:
This might sound really stupid, but try a different jumper on your CMOS reset pins. Don't reset it, just try another one.

I remember my father's and my AW9D-MAX had bad jumpers...they were too loose. It caused them to act very strange until we changed them.

It could be too much of an overclock, and your mobo is resetting to default values.
You said youve been OC'ing for a week. Were these FSB's working then? Try doing a small OC, such as 5Mhz, and see if it carries over.

how do you switch jumpers, im open to any suggestions, at least this gives me something else to try.

ive tried doing a small overclock btw, nothin. I had it running at 3.6 at one point so they used to work yea. It seems to be only the clock speed that wont change, but like I said it still stays in the bios as if it had worked. I cant even do a rediculous overclock and get it to not post...

how do you switch jumpers, im open to any suggestions, at least this gives me something else to try.
Take the old one off and put another one on. :eh?:

ive tried doing a small overclock btw, nothin. It seems to be only the clock speed that wont change, but like I said it still stays in the bios as if it had worked. I cant even do a rediculous overclock and get it to not post...
Have you tried upping it 5mhz? Does that stick?

Back