• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Az00123

Hi, I'm going to be buying parts and doing my first build in a week so I figured I'd ask you guys for help on what to buy and whether they're compatible.

I have a budget of about 1500 pounds (don't have a pound sign, US keyboard setup :p). I'm going to be using the computer for gaming, torrenting and watching movies. I usually buy a computer every 3-4 years so I want this to last a while.

CPU
Q9450

Motherboard
Asus Maximus Formula
Went x38 instead of p35 so I could get another 3870x2 later when prices drop

Memory
G.Skill 4GB Ddr2-1000

Gfx Card
3870x2

Hard Drive
Wd 3200aaks
I don't need much storage and I have a 320gb external which i use as well, but I heard these drives are fast.

CD/DVD
Samsung SH-S203PBEBN

HSF
Tuniq Tower 120-LFB

Paste
Mx-2
Is mx-2 much better than the paste supplied with the tuniq tower?

Case
Antec 900
Can i fit 2x 3870x2, a tuniq tower and the side fan in this case?

PSU
Silverstone ST-1000
Enough to power (eventually) 2 3870x2s?

Monitor
Samsung 245b
I know this monitor is a TN panel so doesn't have as good image quality as the other monitors but I still chose this one as it has a faster response time for gaming and is a lot cheaper.

OS
Vista 64 bit

Speakers
Logitech X-540
I just want some PC speakers as the crap ones i got with dell are broken, I'm not particularly fussed about sound quality and these don't break the bank

All suggestions/comments will be appreciated

Last edited:
You can plug 8 pin into 6 pin. They should be 6+2 anyway.

Everything will fit inside the Antec.

If you only want 320GB of space and fast, look at the new 320GB single platter models from Seagate and Samsung. I went with a WD5000AAKS my self personally. $99.

I also have the non light-scribe version of that burner, it's very nice. Gets excellent quality burns when checked back with Nero CD/DVD Speed.

mobo good
ram good

Last thing to get is a sound card, even a cheap one if you're going to be using a 5.1 set-up. Can't help you on that though.

Thanks for the feedback

Is the x-fi xtremegamer a good sound card to use?
Also if anyone owns a hx620 can they tell me if the 8 pin pcie connectors are 6+2?

DRAM: unless you will be running a 64-bit OS, 8GB won't be any better than 3.25 (about what Win XP/Vista 32-bit can address).

Heatsink: Will you be overclocking? If yes, the Zalman 9700 is not beefy enough for an overclocked quad, not if you want to go past 3200MHz. If you want higher clocks than that, I would recommend Zalman 9700NT, TRUE, Tuniq Tower 120, or Noctua NH-U12F.

Antec 900: I run that case with a TRUE, with two fans mounted on it. There is plenty of clearance.

Corsair 620HX: Excellent! It has two 6-pin PCI-e. I am running one of these in the same computer that is housed by the Antec 900.

I will be running a 64 bit os.

Will a TRUE with 1 fan fit in an antec 900 with the side fan installed?

Also, on Corsair's website it states there are two 8 pin pcie connectors, you just said there are two 6 pin pcie connectors :S
I need 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin for my gfx card :mad:

The newer 620W are 6+2 pin IIRC, it doesn't make any sense to have a solid 8 pin PCI-E.

You can always call them up or ask our Corsair rep here.

Sorry for double post, changed my build to leave me room to add another 3870x2 in the future

I will be running a 64 bit os.

Will a TRUE with 1 fan fit in an antec 900 with the side fan installed?

Also, on Corsair's website it states there are two 8 pin pcie connectors, you just said there are two 6 pin pcie connectors :S
I need 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin for my gfx card :mad:

The TRUE will fit in the 900 but without the side fan.
Although I dont see this as an issue due to the tunnel system the 900 has delivering air straight from the front.

Where in the UK are you? You can take a look at my system if you like and you are near enough. Also if you need an extra pair of hands on the build, I know your 1st build can be intimidating. My 1st build was a dual CPU pentiun 200MMX, wooo back in the day.

I chose the 3870x2 because it's the second best gfx card imo. I don't think the 9800gx2 is worth the money I have to pay for it, and the hopefully the 3870x2's drivers will be fixed soon.
Also, it leaves me room to upgrade by going cfx, I don't really want to get a nvidia based motherboard and go sli

Also, I live in west london, but I don't think i'll have too much trouble building a pc because I've done a fair bit of research and most of my family (well my generation at least) have built their own pcs so they can help if i need.

I chose the 3870x2 because it's the second best gfx card imo. I don't think the 9800gx2 is worth the money I have to pay for it, and the hopefully the 3870x2's drivers will be fixed soon.
Also, it leaves me room to upgrade by going cfx, I don't really want to get a nvidia based motherboard and go sli

Also, I live in west london, but I don't think i'll have too much trouble building a pc because I've done a fair bit of research and most of my family (well my generation at least) have built their own pcs so they can help if i need.

Sounds like you got it covered, we wont hold it against you living in London though :)

Personally Im not convinced with the drivers, until I see it working. My preference would be a good quality GTS until ATI prove themselves.

Ok well, thanks for the help everyone

I'll start ordering parts in a week, might upload some pics when i'm done :d

I would go with the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, Thermalright Ultima 90, XIGMATEK Rifle 120 cooler, or Tuniq Tower 120

Also consider the Zalman 9700NT (not regular 9700, but the NT). It will keep up with the U120E and come within 2*C of the U120E.

If you're not terribly picky about sound quality then the onboard 8 channel will do you just fine. No need to clutter the case with an extra card. Spend the cash on something you could really use (like a multi-card reader) or upgrade a part.

I have never heard of that thermal paste before but I do use Arctic Silver 5 in my builds and it works great.

I like where you're going with your gfx cards. I have a 3850 and the drivers keep getting better and better. It won't be long before the drivers are mature for both 2 processors on one card and 2x2 (crossfire with two x2's) setups.

Last edited:
Thanks for input

What's the difference between the 9700 and the nt, i thought the only diff was one was the 9700 was orangey/red and blue light whereas nt was black and green

Also, i'm beginning to doubt going the ati way because the 3870x2 seems to be failing big time when being compared to other gfx cards (e.g reviews on anandtech/tomshardware)

So should i go ati and hope that better drivers come out or should i go nvidia? with nvidia i'm not sure what to do because I really don't want to get a SLI board but I want to buy a 2nd gfx card later.

HELP? :-/

Also consider the Zalman 9700NT (not regular 9700, but the NT). It will keep up with the U120E and come within 2*C of the U120E.

Are you serious....? You should check the reviews a little better.

Best heatsinks are TR 120 Extreme, Xigmatek S1283, Noctua NH-U12P (in push/pull with a second Noctua fan - newer model with 'slotted' fan blades). Then comes Tunix Tower 120 and others.

Back