• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st time build havin a problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

st iggy

Hi I'm new here and this is my first build.

I'm using a Asus P5KE mobo and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU.
The vid card is an evga 9600gt....The case is a Antec Sonata w/500 Watt ps

The problem i'm having is the power shuts down after a few minutes of run time. I'll cycle power up and the mobo sees and recognizes the cpu/memory/ide/sata drive so I think those are all operational and running fine. But after 2 or 3 minutes run time the power dies

Is this a Power Supply issue or is the CPU running hot? I have the case fan running on full and the vid card fan and CPU fan are running.

Any Ideas?
Thanks

sounds like your over heating try resetting your hsf and reaply paste if stock hsf your may want to try a better one and make sure its setting good
Rich

So the system shuts off after 2 or 3 minutes? Does it happen when windows is loading or when you are using windows? If enter bios settings, does it power off after 3 minutes? If you get in to bios check temps

The psu is antec made?

I didn't apply any thermal conductive paste, because there were no instructions in the CPU install instructions...I'll pick some up tomorrow and reset the hsf.

Is there a paste that's better than others?

So the system shuts off after 2 or 3 minutes? Does it happen when windows is loading or when you are using windows? If enter bios settings, does it power off after 3 minutes? If you get in to bios check temps

The psu is antec made?

The psu is listed as manufactured by antec but that doesnt mean theyre building it. Model number is EA-500D.

This is a complete new build including installation(eventually) of a fresh op sys. I havent been able to get Xp loaded on the machine yet.

I did check the temps but cant recall what they were...the cpu did seem a bit high though.

Again thanks for the help.

well it was the hsf after all...the oem intel fan would not sit properly on the cpu...so i went out and bought a zalman cooler...installed it last night using silver arctic 5 as the thermal paste and all is well...the cpu is running at 89 f right now after @30 minutes of use.

How do you actively monitor cpu and mobo temp while in windows xp?

thanks again guys

Back