• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 + ASUS P5N-D Problems, Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kubix26

First time poster here, and i'm having some major problems with my current OC. I'm (obviously) running an e8400 on an ASUS P5N-D mobo. On stock settings I could barely get 3.2 ghz, and couldn't seem to push past that. After hours of work, I finally decided to singularly test my problems. First up was the NB.

I bumped the multiplier down to 6.0 so I could ONLY test the FSB/NB/HT. And so be it, this is my bottleneck.

I eventually ended up bumping the voltage of the NB and HT up to 1.58v and could only push my FSB to 1460. Remember, my CPU is on a multipler of 6.. so it was running at 2.something ghz.. (Far below the 3.0ghz stock), so the CPU volt isn't my problem.

Anyways... i'm afraid the push the voltage any furthur on the NB/HT to extend the FSB. It seems either I got a bad board, or the ASUS P5N-D is a piece for an overclocker. If any of you guys can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, spread spectrum and C1E are disabled, and memory was unlinked and set to default. All other options were auto... as I was only testing the FSB/NB/HT.

Thanks

Completely disregard this post.. as I figured out my problem.

Apparently my motherboard was laughing at me because of the mere-laughable numbers I was putting in trying to OC slowly. It would boot up to 1460 FSB, but not 1475. Out of frustration I put in 1600 FSB and it booted up! I put in 1650, it doesn't boot up. I put in 1700 and it boots up! 1750 it doesnt boot up... 1800 and it boots up! So now i'm running at 4.05ghz, and am typing this as ORTHOS passed the 5min mark on cpu stress test. :) Will have to do O/N tests tonight.. and hopefully this post may help others who are having the same problem as I was!

Btw, isn't that just the weirdest problem to have?

Wow, that is weird..have you tried any odd numbers yet like 1660 1745 etc?
Could be the mem holding you back...look at cpu-z after each O'C and see what your ram frequency is doing compared to your fsb freaq...that might be interesting to see.
Doc
P.S. welcome to the forums

Probably less to do with your motherboard and more with your memory, guessing your board automaticaly sets a memory divider based off what FSB you choose, or you have to do it manualy?

Probably less to do with your motherboard and more with your memory, guessing your board automaticaly sets a memory divider based off what FSB you choose, or you have to do it manualy?

Yeah, that's the only thing I can come up with. Numbers like 1425, 1450, and 1460 were working, but 1470/1475 were not. Then of course 1650/1750 weren't working either. Finally got it running though, which makes me feel a whole lot better. Ran Orthos (blend) and Prime(cpu) overnight (9ish hours), and everything seems to check out. I havent touched the memory yet, as in OC'ing, just wanted to be sure the current setup is stable. Temps run 30c/43c (idle/load), cpu @ 4.05ghz. Took a ss of the tests running before I headed off to work this morning, i'll try to get that posted later on today.

Back