• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power outage shut off PC... Restarted and lost WU 85% done... Can I get it back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Power outage shut off PC... Restarted and lost WU 85% done... Can I get it back?

Hey guys, I did a few searches here and on Google and couldn't find the answer?

I had a power outage today briefly. It shut down my main PC, (even though I am on a battery backup??) Anyway, I restarted the computer and checked the Folding logs. My SMP client was 85% completed and it looks like I lost all that work. :cry:

Is there anyway I can get it to start back up where it left off or am I screwed? It already started on a new WU and is 1% completed.

I don't think you can. The SMP is kinda picky, and you will get a few EUE's. But it will crank out some points for you!

E :beer:

Think you need a UPS-Backup Tommy

Yeah I actually have one...

For some reason my house has been getting power SURGES... The power flashes and sometimes things get fried and usually stuff shuts off like the power was cut. Yeah it sucks.

Good news is that my laptops that are folding stayed on. :)

Nope, no service, I'm using cmdow.exe to automatically start it up. But my power problems shut my PC off completely so there is nothing I could do about that... I just wanted to start over where I left off.

My SMP clients have always started back up where they left off when I turn off my system (either normally or power outages). Is the checkpoint in your config set to some insanely long interval? I have mine set to 5 minute checkpoints. If you're running it off a hard drive, then there's no reason to lose more than a few percent...

Lost an entire Hard drive this morning when the power went out...Spent the last 3 hours gettin that rig back up and running. This morning I switched my rigs back to Team 32 from 45.

My SMP clients have always started back up where they left off when I turn off my system (either normally or power outages). Is the checkpoint in your config set to some insanely long interval? I have mine set to 5 minute checkpoints. If you're running it off a hard drive, then there's no reason to lose more than a few percent...

Five minute checkpoints are a good way to lose a WU, actually. Here's why:

1) Your system has laid down a good checkpoint. All is well, even if you lose power, you'll recover work where you left off.

2) Your system is IN THE PROCESS of writing out yet another checkpoint, and NOW the power goes off or surges more than your equipment can handle. Your checkpoint is ruined.

When you restart your FAH client, it will see the wreckage in the checkpoint, and instantly erase it (permanently, not to your waste basket), and begin over at 0%. You're hosed at this point.

For greatest safety of the WU, set your checkpoints to the max - 30 minutes. That way the odds of a power problem are much less while your checkpoint is being written out. That's when your WU is most vulnerable.

Welcome back, oh mighty top 5 folder for Team 45! :D

Wasn't that fun being up there?

Back