• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built a new PC, but it wont turn on!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Master_Z

I spent about 500 dollars in parts and spent several hours trying to get it to work, but it won't. The farthest I got was getting the LEDs working, and sadly that was before I even looked at the jumper pattern. Basically I turn it on and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing. I heard that with this motherboard it wont accept 45nm CPUs until you update it, but I think I would need another CPU. Specs are below.

Motherboard: ECS G31T-M
RAM: Super Talent 2x1GB DDR2-800 Dual Channel RAM
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
GPU: ATI HD3870
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB Sata II 7200RPM 16MB Cache
Case: Winsis WN-19 w/350w PSU

Cant be. I took out the graphics card and still had the same issue. The only guess I have is that the motherboard does not support wolfdale by default, so I gotta put another LGA775 CPU in and update it, which of course I dont have. :(

If you have any LED lights on the mobo, if they light up but the computer won't power, it would point to the PSU. Last time I used an underpowered power supply, I would press the power button, the fans on the case would spin about a quarter turn and then stop.

I would try swapping out a different power supply, the power supplies that come with cases are often about half a pound and best used as a bolas rather than powering a computer.

Cant be. I took out the graphics card and still had the same issue. The only guess I have is that the motherboard does not support wolfdale by default, so I gotta put another LGA775 CPU in and update it, which of course I dont have. :(

I love how you know the answer and have posted it but people still point to the PSU :) Call a local shop and see if they have a Celeron D or P4 you can borrow for the BIOS update. Where do you live? Maybe a member here is close enough to help even..

From what I read about the motherboard, it should boot up. There were 2 reviewers that managed to get the 7200 to boot up from stock settings, granted, it probably didn't have all the features and required a BIOS update, they could get it up off the ground.

I still think it's the PSU.

Basically I turn it on and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing
I took out the graphics card and still had the same issue
That rules out weak PSU, but not DOA PSU.

Long shot: Defective power button, remove the header from the PWR pin and short it with a screwdriver or something. And while youre at it check all cables to the mainboard.

Personally i vote for dead mainboard, ECS is the worst brand i ever experienced.

cheap powersupply, won't output 100w if it's life depended on it, get it replaced, with a quality unit.

Check to make sure the 2-pin PWR connector (PWRSW) at the System Panel Connector (20-pin Panel) isn't installed backwards. In addition to the 24-pin power connector, make sure the 4-pin power connector is also being utilized.

I'm pretty sure it doesnt matter if the powerwitch polarity is the otherway, its only a switch.

even if you do get it working, get ride of that PSU, unless you want to be building another new rig in a few weeks when that one blows and takes everything with it

I would recommend a Powmax!
Pow! and you have power!

They're super light so it makes it a perfect LAN PSU!

j/p they suck

remove everything from the mobo except

CPU
1 stick of ram
vid card

remove everything else

try it then,as said above, short the power switch connectors with a screw driver,. this will eliminate anything else

Okay. So I used a PSU tester and it said the PSU Was working fine. I really dont think its my PSU. On another note, last night when I didnt use the correct jumper pattern, I got LEDs on, but when I used the correct pattern, no LEDs. A review on Newegg claims it was "extremely hard to put the right jumper pattern on the f.panel", so is it possible that the manual's jumper patterns are off?

ive recently had a new rig not turn on...til like the 5th power off psu, power on....and then just a few LED's came on........then shut off......and never turned on again. The psu was obviously damaged and failing in some way....so i hooked up the same exact psu to it, just another one i had lying around, worked like a charm.

Get a new psu. NOW. :mad:

...PSU tester = junk

it's hyped upp DMM, it doesn't put any load on the powersupply just checks voltage, it is junk, anything that comes with a case is junk (except maybe coolermaster/antec cases)

Back