• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can you say High End Air is just as good as Water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Ok, this is one thing that is really ****ing me off about my friend. He claims that his high end air, I think like a TR 120...is just as good as my water (2x 240mm Rads, MCP655 & Apogee GT). I know my waterblock isnt' the best, and it barely keeps this e7200 cool, but he has his e8500 @ 4.4 with a lot less vcore than it takes to keep my e7200 @ 4.0. My temps sit around 65C in a warmish room, and his sit around 60C. So, if I took his e8500 @ 4.0 with the 1.4vcore it takes me, would his temps be around the same as mine? Back in the day my A64 under water beat his temp wise in every way when he was on air...now he claims water = garbage.

BTW, if I upgrade my waterblock to per say Apogee GTZ, would I see a difference?

an upgrade in block might help some

What rads are these, that may be the issue.

if he's running at a lower vcore with a chip that oc's very well anyway, he would have much worse temps than you are pulling right now...

Ok, this is one thing that is really ****ing me off about my friend. He claims that his high end air, I think like a TR 120...is just as good as my water (2x 240mm Rads, MCP655 & Apogee GT). I know my waterblock isnt' the best, and it barely keeps this e7200 cool, but he has his e8500 @ 4.4 with a lot less vcore than it takes to keep my e7200 @ 4.0. My temps sit around 65C in a warmish room, and his sit around 60C. So, if I took his e8500 @ 4.0 with the 1.4vcore it takes me, would his temps be around the same as mine? Back in the day my A64 under water beat his temp wise in every way when he was on air...now he claims water = garbage.

BTW, if I upgrade my waterblock to per say Apogee GTZ, would I see a difference?

For the newer 45nm chips, watercooling is becoming passed by high end air simply they do nopt dump the heat maximum before they hit their max clock.

However, if you are getting 65c on WATER with only 4.0GHz something points to other issues I think.

For the newer 45nm chips, watercooling is becoming passed by high end air simply they do nopt dump the heat maximum before they hit their max clock.

However, if you are getting 65c on WATER with only 4.0GHz something points to other issues I think.

Yeah...I've tried remounting over and over...every which way...I even lapped my CPU flat as can be (not polish, 800g) and temps didn't change. I'm thinking there is something wrong with my block.

I guess WC just isn't what it used to be?

You must also take into account how efficient his airflow is through the case on removing excess hot air, along with ambient room temperatures.

I'm using a swiftech storm rev 2 and have an e8200 @ 3.8 and my temps are 41C idle and 55 load. We practically have the same block so something is a miss, I'm using a d5 laing and a black ice pro 240. What temp program are you using, because the TJMax is supposed to be at 100. The older programs had it wrong when monitoring a 45nm chip. What thermal paste are you using?

i've been happy with my w/c keeps my Q6600 @ 3.5GHz @ 1.4v with idle temps of 31-32C and load of 38-39C

Love my 'high-end air'. Much less maintenance.

But I think the operative phrase is 'just as good'. I don't really really know what that means, and certainly in some applications H20 is the only way to go if you OC.

What is ticking people off is seeing folks get the same or even better OC with air cooling. It doesn't seem very fair in light of all the work you water-coolers go through.

My Swiftech system is getting up to 51 degrees max. what is the vcore

lol nice thread and its an e8600

i thought it was pretty common knowledge that water on newer cpu's doesnt do much. water is really only worth a damn on gpus. my setup is nothing special gaming I usually load out 55c max but even thats rare. TRUE 120 and medium yates FTW, vcore is 1.3 loaded for 4.4, ambient room temps are normal, I would say 72 average. I also said high end air is better than water, cuz well its not water and its much less hassle to setup.

Attachments

• IMG_1345 [1024x768].JPG
    IMG_1345 [1024x768].JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
I'll keep my response simple. On a TRUE 120(the only thing I consider truly "high end") I ran around 15c warmer than I do now on a cheapo w/c solution both with a 4.2Ghz speed at the exact same voltage. I call the opinion that high end air = w/c a myth and as such busted via first hand experience. Btw, this was on the aforementioned new tech (45nm). :beer:

I would say I've had better temps on H20 than with air coolers. With my current setup with 1.3v @ 4.0Ghz, Idle temps are 27c and loaded around 36c.

I had a TT120 and temps were crazy high. Idle would be around 48-50c and loaded would hit mid 60's :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've always gotten higher overclocks on water v.s. air, even good air cooling. Heck, my current CPU is the first one I've ever had that would clock well without a ton of volts.

I would say I've had better temps on H20 than with air coolers. With my current setup with 1.3v @ 4.0Ghz, Idle temps are 27c and loaded around 36c.

I had a TT120 and temps were crazy high. Idle would be around 48-50c and loaded would hit mid 60's :rolleyes:

You TJMAX is wrong I believe. It should be at 100 not 95 for 45 nm Intel just had a press release theres a pdf floating around. Your temps should be 5 degrees higher than whats showing but still are good!

You TJMAX is wrong I believe. It should be at 100 not 95 for 45 nm Intel just had a press release theres a pdf floating around. Your temps should be 5 degrees higher than whats showing but still are good!

Hmm odd, i have the latest RealTemp version and no matter what version I use, it still shows a tjmax of 95 :shrug:

i think water excel more - the higher the temp, at a certain point air cooling can only do so much, but water can suck away that heat better... for overclocks where volts dont get added i would say air is as good as water - it is once you start adding more vcore that water will pull ahead and keep that max temp alot lower.

bear with me with this since I merged to pictures as one from x-bit tech one is the review of the T.r.u.e the other and I'll never here the end is a review of 16 water kits and the catch is how they tested them was a special test bed read the review if you want it's from 2006 but the use up to 400 watts.
now granted this system are old using but then again 100 watts is more watts than a qx6600 TDP It would seem WC is better than air cooling wise setup wise you win.

Attachments

• bit tech airwc.jpg
    bit tech airwc.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 209
i think water excel more - the higher the temp, at a certain point air cooling can only do so much, but water can suck away that heat better... for overclocks where volts dont get added i would say air is as good as water - it is once you start adding more vcore that water will pull ahead and keep that max temp alot lower.

+1

I can't wait for winter to come. 20° air ducted into my case. :)

Back