• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Troubleshooting My Water Loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ItWasGreat

So recently I upgraded my motherboard and got a new Gtx 1080 waterblocked gpu and i'm running into an issue regarding CPU temps. Previously, my idle CPU temps for my 5930k overclocked to 4.4 was around 39/40C, now it's idling around 49 and during heavy playing in Witcher 3 it hovers around 60, while previously only getting to about 45C. My radiators and pump have not changed so why the increase in my temps? I checked the thermal paste, re-applied and still getting high temps, i'm at a loss for the reasons for the sudden increase in temp, any suggestions?

More information about my PC, I upgraded from a MSI X99A Krait Edition to a MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon and from a EVGA GTX 980 Hydro Copper to a MSI GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X. My loop consists of AlphaCool 360mm radiator(push/pull) -> EKWB Supremacy EVO -> EKWB Bay Res/Pump -> AlphaCool 240mm radiator(push/pull) -> GPU -> back to top radiator (360mm). I also took my waterblock apart and cleaned it as best as i could, also my radiators have been properly cleaned of dust and debris (if any), but honestly i'm at a loss as to why even atr 50% CPU usage the CPU spikes up to 64C on water!! I've re-applied thermal about 5 times in the past day and it hasnt made a difference at all. Hopefully you guys might be able to figure out what the possible problem might be.

I assume you re-filled a bit of liquid in your loop after swapping in the new GPU/block right? Did you check for any air possibly trapped in the loop? Did you seal the CPU block properly after cleaning it? That's what comes to my mind right now, wait for more experienced users to chime in ;)

Are the fans or pump speed controlled by the mobo. If so did you adjust the profile on the new motherboard.

pcnow.JPG

Edit, sorry for some reason it flipped the image.

Also, 1). No air bubbles in it current other than a thin layer of air in the bay res. Pump is connected to system fan header running at constant 4500rpm while all radiator fans (6 for the top rad and the top 2 for the bottom rad) are connected to a pwm splitter ran off a single pwm fan header with a custom fan curve.

- - - Updated - - -

I havent changed anything except the motherboard and gpu really, so theoretically it should all perform the same. The last time my pc was March 28th when for some reason my computer would no longer start (couldnt even get to bios splash screen) after calling manufacturers it was either the gpu or motherboard so replaced both as soon as i could.

I would flip the rad fans so you are pulling in the bottom and pushing out the top.

It does not address the original issue of why the temps change but it should help the system overall.

I guess you confirmed every fan is running according to your curve right?Same thing for the pump? (silly question but have to verify everything). I would suggest running a P95 blend for 20 minutes and post screens from HWMonitor.

I see no obvious points of flow restriction, so that's good.
+1 to Lochekey about the airflow though.

Is it possible i may just have a bad temperature sensor? Because idle my individual core temps hover around 38C-40C while system is at 33C. Starting to think bad temp sensor may be causing this psuedo worry about bad water temps. My rads feel cold to the touch during burn in tests and the tubing doesn't get warm so.

temps.png

This is current reading at Idle, the debug led on my motherboard says 50C but using speed fan there wasn't the usual Nuvoton temperature sensor i could gather for CPU temps or atleast the one found gave me a negative C reading.

Alright. Lets start by figuring out, what is the voltage readings when you're at full load? Trying to see if you're pushing too much voltage @ 4.4 as this usually happens when you let software run the show. You might have to manually test out and figure your own stable clock in the BIOS like I did with my 5930K stable as a rock @ 4.4 around 1.28v. My temps idle are usually 33c-35c and 50c-60c depending on ambient temps. Regardless, every chip is different and room temp.

Your temps to me look OK, meaning you have to let the TIM cure, what TIM are you using btw, and how long has it been since you put the system together now?

You have more than enough rad for your 180w GTX 1080 and 140w 5930K with lots of OCing headroom. What is your ambient temps? Idle and load temps seem to be OK but again, that all depends on your room temperature. Do you have any air / temp sensors to see any inconsistencies and is your water flow visibly turbulent?

Give us a proper list of your PC components and your loop.

1. xxx
2. xxx
3. etc, etc.....

Can a admin flip that image around. Driving me nuts. :bang head

Back