• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ram is better than this at 1066mhz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Outside of the cooling factor of the last 2 before you linked yours... would they really be all that better since they still are all rated at 1066mhz and have about the same timings? 15 vs 18?

15 will be slightly faster but its not going to make a huge difference. DDR2-1066 cas5 is still DDR2-1066 cas5, the difference is just going to be brand preference and warrenty on the ram.

maybe these
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Dominator and Ascents have fancy cooling spreaders that the claim will increase your OC about 25 MHz. All I can tell you is that my 800 MHZ Ascents are Memtest stable at 1115 and can boot Windows and run SuperPi at 1125MHz. Kinda makes ya wonder what the higher binned chips can do.

well that is not the way i took his post... he asked simply for ram at 1066 not ones that would oc. i have however seen that ram i listed over at xs do ddr2-1100 on stockv.. i could debate that the "extra" cooling hs helps, you would be better off with a fan on top then some fancy looking HS.

this is why i say that, this is a older set DDR2-800 cas4 , with no fancy hs on the ram, just a low cfm fan...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/34g1140g.jpg

Last edited:
Would there be any objections using those G.Skill chips vs the Reapers since they are considerably less for the price and show just about the same specs? I am not expecting to exceed the 500fsb barrier.

well i like gskill after having some HZ's die on me for no reason. the fedex 2day the ram back to me brand new kit. i say Gskill's customer service is up there with OCZ/Mushikn/Corsair, imo. unless something really bad happens like Gskill going out of biz, i may not use any one else for ram.

Would there be any objections using those G.Skill chips vs the Reapers since they are considerably less for the price and show just about the same specs? I am not expecting to exceed the 500fsb barrier.

If we are talking about OCing the best, those that are equal in spec, are not necessarily those that are best. The "Best" are those that are superior at OCing spec. GSkill bins too aggressively to fit that bill. They are a great product, but can't be expected to go over spec with any certainty.

I'm sorry. I thought this was OC Forum. Please excuse me for misunderstanding that "Best" might mean OCs best.

look man drop the attuide, just because this is a overclockers forum. doesnt mean everyone here when they ask a question has to do with ocing. his question was specific, DDR2-1066 with no mention about ocing the ram. he even later said 500mhz was as fast as he is going to go. for that matter he could just buy DDR2-1000 and be just as happy as with DDR2-1066. Its not about the name of the forum but the question being asked by the poster. i stated i took his post differently cause of the way he worded it. no need to get in a tissy over it...

btw double posting is frowned on, that i why they added a multi quote feature. the button that says "quote+", then just click post reply at the bottom when you got all the people you want to quote.

just relax and have a :soda:

I would like to know if there is another alternative than this ram that is either comparable or better at 1066mhz.

Better is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146789
Which will hit 1100 easy at 5-5-5-12 or lower, much lower at 1066.

btw double posting is frowned on, that i why they added a multi quote feature. the button that says "quote+", then just click post reply at the bottom when you got all the people you want to quote.

just relax and have a :soda:
I hope this is acceptable and you will forgive my confusion between the name of the forum and it's intent.

drinks his Pepsi although he prefers Diet Coke

I hope I have fulfilled your posting requirements and will no longer infringe upon your attitude ideals.

Better is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146789
Which will hit 1100 easy at 5-5-5-12 or lower.

I hope this is acceptable and you will forgive my confusion between the name of the forum and it's intent.

drinks his Pepsi although he prefers Diet Coke

I hope I have fulfilled your requirements and will no longer infringe upon your attitude ideals.
there are no worries here to me the post just came off a bit snobbish/attitude style. No harm here! these though are not my requirements so dont worry about me. i was just pointing out the double post because the mods see that as post speeding since at 101posts you get in to the classies. if the find people doing that they knock them down in post count or just deny them classies access.

I have seen you other posts and do hope you stay around for a long time!! :thup:
its all about helping people here!! :)

there are no worries here to me the post just came off a bit snobbish/attitude style. No harm here! these though are not my requirements so dont worry about me. i was just pointing out the double post because the mods see that as post speeding since at 101posts you get in to the classies. if the find people doing that they knock them down in post count or just deny them classies access.

I have seen you other posts and do hope you stay around for a long time!! :thup:
its all about helping people here!! :)

Glad to give my 2 cent and hope I'm not offensive. Although I'm new here, I've been at OC.nt and Xsys for a while. I'm glad to bring personal experience and what I've learned elsewhere to the table. Although I'm learning in all areas, I've had alot of experience with RAM.

I made a thread awhile back and forget all about it however it contained 2 G.Skill ram chips and it didn't occur to me about this till Evilsizer linked his which basically use the same chips which are on these.

5-5-5-15 @ 2.0-2.1v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145&Tpk=F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ

5-5-5-15 @ 1.8-1.9v
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

Both use the same chips therefore I can get the cheaper ones for $70 shipped and simply run them at the stated speeds of the official 1000mhz ones.

As Evilsizer said, I really only need to look for the 1000mhz models since I'm not going to pass the 500mhz barrier. Looks like I found the right chips.

Thanks

If the chips can do the rated spec then it's perfectly fine considering that you aren't buying into false advertisement. If you want to go over spec then that's a different story in quality which I would agree with you on. Corsair and Mushkin do make a more superior chip in the the higher end level however I will be leaning towards either a Q9400 or Q9550 which neither are going to see the light of day at 500fsb.

After that being said, there is still a good amount of headroom within the rated specs on these chips for what I'm looking to do.

Nicely done. Just note that the basic (as I would call it) timings are the same. In other words, both were tested at 5-5-5-11 t2, 1070mhz vs 856mhz. I think his main purpose was to prove 4:5 is better than 1:1 on intel systems.

Quite so. Also lower timings at reduced bandwdth would reduce performance.
In other words... for greatest performance, OC processor first... then RAM... then reduce timings.:clap:

You may wish to check out ddr2 vs ddr3 (7th one in my sig). They compare high bandwidth with low latancy.

Back