• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP died.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cabose1227

I was just scaning a old pc of mine for viruses and it came up with one hit winlogon.exe. It would not delete so I tried to end the proces but it didnt work so I renamed it and deleted it now when I try to boot it reboots half way thru the bar loading thing. I got so caught up with trying to get rid of a "virus" that I killed a major system procces and I have no idea how to fix it. The pc is old so I dont have the reinstal disk and I dont have any other os's I can try other than vista but it would not run on this computer. i did not make any back ups so thats out to. I dont want to have to make this a linux rig. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Download a LiveCD (DSL runs <100Mb and should work well) and copy it to a CD.

Boot from the CD.

You can download winlogon.exe here (I'm not hosting it i just found it, so someone check it for a virus - i'm at school and my house has no power right now, so i can't)

Then copy it to the original location which is:
c:\windows\system32

Logout of the LiveCD, eject it, and reboot.

It 'should' work, but i haven't had to do this myself.. yet.

Back